Battery Relocation on a 25D ???

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Battery Relocation on a 25D ???

Post by barfwinkle »

Hello to all

I have been pondering this for some time but until today I never really liked any solutions that I dreamed up.

I am considering moving the batteries to a yet to be built shelf under the galley stove. There is plenty of room, the weight would be moved further forward and further inboard. Rhapsody doesn't have a large contingent of galley tools (pans) and once completed they could reside outboard of the batteries.

Of course the shelf would have to be sturdy and affixed very well. This move would not be any longer of a run the the current (hehehe) run and maintenance would be 10,000 times easier, plus there's room for two T-105s and a starter battery if she'll stand that much weight in the new spot.

Any comments?

Fair Winds

ps now if I can just fine somewhere to add 20-25 gallons of aqua.

FW
Bill Member #250.
hilbert

Re: Battery Relocation on a 25D ???

Post by hilbert »

I cleared out the starboard galley sink and icebox, mostly to make room for house batteries forward of the bulkhead. I left a cranking battery on the port side, next to the starter. It would have been almost impossible to construct an accessible and secure battery box without demolition.
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

I've thought about this as well. The only thing I'd be wary of is the trim when the water tanks are full. I believe the position of the batteries is off setting the weight of the fresh water tank on the starboard side. If it works for you without issue, let us 25D owners know. I know I could use the extra space in the port side locker!
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

On my CD31 I mounted 4 group 29 batteries under the Salon floor.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jeff G wrote:I've thought about this as well. . . . If it works for you without issue, let us 25D owners know. I know I could use the extra space in the port side locker!
Ditto for me Commodore Bill.

My other concern (please remember I am a tadpole :!: ) would be locating the batteries so close to the Origo (or other mfg.) stove.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

To Kevin "Kerry Ann",

Do you have any details/photos of putting batteries under floor.

JM
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

What could the stove possibly have to do with this?
Bill Member #250.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

barfwinkle wrote:What could the stove possibly have to do with this?
Commodore:

Hey, I said I was a tadpole :!: :D

Actually, what I was thinking of was the possibility that IF there was a problem with the stove - alcohol container, etc., or with liquids being boiled, etc., that the batteries would be in an exposed position directly below.

I am gathering from your post that this is not possible or likely.

If you decide to move the batteries I would like to see photos, etc. This request comes to you from the dummy who still can't figure out how to post photos on this website. :oops:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I would think that there is some slight possibility of a battery being overcharged and venting hydrogen. Where would you rather be when your battery explodes? Sitting over it while in the cockpit? or cooking next to it in the cabin? I think I'll grab a Guinness and think about something else. Perhaps Springtime.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
barfwinkle

Dazed and Confused

Post by barfwinkle »

Well I have been playing about with this issue and have come to a conclusion. Considering that I have several options here and all are wet cells:

1 - two T-105 under the galley and leave the starting battery in the port locker and I would lose the galley drawer under the stove

2 - a gp 31 and a gp 24 under the galley and I would lose the galley drawer under the stove, and

3 - a gp 27 and gp 24 under the galley and "maybe" I can keep the drawer. I just thought of this combo and so I haven't tried a dry fit as of yet.

I sure hate to lose that drawer, but it sure would be nice NMHO to move the batteries.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

What part of the existing setup is broken?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698