Cabin heater for while underway

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Cabin heater for while underway

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Can anyone recommend a portable heater that I can use while underway? I need to bring my boat across the gulf soon and the thought of not having a heater bothers me. Can a generic portable heater be used safely? I live in South Texas and may never need it again.

Thanks
Kevin
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Jim Cornwell

Re: Cabin heater for while underway

Post by Jim Cornwell »

You might try something that burns isopropyl alcohol, which won't generate carbon monoxide. I've got a "BriteLyt" lantern with an alcohol conversion kit (converts from kerosene and other fuels). This is a pressurized lantern with a mantle, sort of like a Coleman, that comes in brass or nickel, looks handsomely "shippy" hanging below Yankee's cabin hatch and puts out enough heat to take the chill off. Wouldn't work in the higher latitudes but it works in the Chesapeake for us and hasn't killed anyone yet! Available on line from a company (in Florida?) reviving the venerable German Petromax. Jim.
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Jim does denatured alcohol also not give off co2 fumes.
Last edited by pete faga on Jan 5th, '13, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
K Chiswell

Post by K Chiswell »

I have used a Mr Heater "Buddy" below in the past. I wasn't underway but I did have it hanging from straps tied to its handle, so I would think it would be OK under way.
Tom Keevil

Carbon Monoxide

Post by Tom Keevil »

It is certainly NOT true that isopropyl alcohol can not produce carbon monoxide! Any fuel that contains carbon atoms will produce carbon monoxide if it burns with inadequate oxygen (it adds only one oxygen to the carbon atom rather than two which is carbon dioxide). Fuels containing carbon atoms include natural gas, propane, butane, all types of alcohols, kerosene, diesel fuel, gasoline, wood, coal, paper, and pretty much anything you can imagine burning to produce heat. Be careful out there!
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Brian2

Post by Brian2 »

I second the Mr Buddy heater. I have used one and they are efficient and have a low oxygen shutoff. For safety and tip over reasons, they are very senstive to being bumped, and will shut off it set down too hard (it doesn't take much).
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Trofast came with a Mr. Buddy heater that had a hose running to tanks on the stern rail.
I never opened the propane valve and it was the first thing that I took off the boat.
Fire on a boat is terrifying.