Typhoon boom tent or bimini

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

seadug

Typhoon boom tent or bimini

Post by seadug »

Where is a good source to buy a boom tent or bimini for a Typhoon? I am planning on doing a fair amount of coastal camping on my little boat and I think some type of shelter over the cockpit would be handy while at anchor.

Doug
Sailing greenhorn
Typhoon hull #516
Stonington CT
ariasis

Re: Typhoon boom tent or bimini

Post by ariasis »

I'd also like to know this or perhaps someone has the plans to make a bimmini ?
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Squid

Post by Squid »

I would try Jim Larsen at Ameriseam 800-755-7221. This guy was highly recommended to me by the guy who owns "SailCare". He made my sailcover... very fast service and excellent customer service. They do a complete line of canvas work to include boom tents and bimini's. Take a look at the e-site. If nothing else give him a call.

http://www.ameriseam.net/
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

If you have access to a sewing machine, make your own boom tent. A home-sewing machine will work fine, and only requires basic sewing skills.

We have made several tarps, different sizes, to keep the sun/rain off Carina. A large tarp that covers the length of the boom, mostly for sun protection. A smaller tarp (5x5) that can be placed where needed to help with blowing rain or shade. A speical tarp for the fore-deck to scoop air into the forward hatch and provide rain protection while the fore-hatch is open.

We use a product called Surelast. It is simular to Sunbrella, but half the weight, and it is waterprooof. Instead of metal grommet, I like to sew nylon loops in the corners and edges. One of our tarps started life many years ago on our CD22. Then it came with us aboard our CD28. Now we use it aboard our CD31. Still going strong.

Hope this helps, JM
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
matane

Post by matane »

Great topic!
It seems that you and I have this in common- I have the CD22
and I am in South FL/Keys. Not having cover- particularly in the summer time... brutal. Like you, I am not going to
be simply daysailing. I hope to do coastal distance, and some crossings- bimini is essential.
Jim Buck

Post by Jim Buck »

I used these people for a mooring cover for my Ty daysailer. Nice people.

http://www.sailorstailor.com/products.asp?cat=28
Jim Buck
Member #1004
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I had a Bimini top on my Typhoon Weekender. It was installed by the prior owner. I communicated with him this evening to ask about who built it, installed it, etc. I think a friend of his on the west coast of Florida did the work and he will check to see if he has drawings, plans, etc. to forward to me.

I found the Bimini very useful in South Florida but, candidly, only when at anchor or on my mooring. While sailing or motoring, I needed to be able to see the mainsail, jib, etc. and the Bimini was an obstruction if deployed.

The Bimini frame folded backwards towards the stern. When not deployed, it was pretty much out of the way of everything. If the Bimini frame folds forward, from most of the ones I have seen, the framing tubes seem to go over the Genoa/jib winches and prevent the use of winch handle. Since I mostly used a working jib I really did not need the winch handle. For me, having the frame fold backwards just made the cockpit area "less cluttered". It also did not at all obstruct access to the winch and jib sheet(s).

I am trying to figure out how to install a Bimini on my Cape Dory 25D (S/V Bali Ha'i). I have seen a few CD 25Ds with Biminis but they mostly fold forward and obstruct the winch when not deployed. When deployed the framing also prevents full use of a winch handle. With a 130% Genoa, at least for me, that is a concern. I am also trying to figure out how to connect the Bimini to a pre-existing dodger and frame that came with S/V Bali Ha'i.

Last, but not least, I will probably have to raise the boom at least 12" to accomodate a Bimini.

Good luck with your project :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
seadug

Post by seadug »

I will most likely get one of the Ameriseam tent awnings. I will have to figure out how to attach the sides to the coaming though. I'm thinking I might be able to put something like oar lock sockets on the coaming and use a section of tent pole to elevate the sides maybe even get a longer pole and bend an arch from side to side.
Sailing greenhorn
Typhoon hull #516
Stonington CT
Squid

Post by Squid »

You can try bent PVC for support, just a thought.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Jim Buck wrote:I used these people for a mooring cover for my Ty daysailer. Nice people.

http://www.sailorstailor.com/products.asp?cat=28
When I was sailing my Ty, I ordered a boom tent or mooring cover from these guys. I was very nice but it was cut for the day sailor and at that time they didn't know the weekender needed a different cover. He offered to work with me to modify the cover if I could give him measurements or just return it for my money back. I didn't feel comfortable with trying to make it fit long distance so I sent it back. Not only did he give me back my money but also reimbursed me for all the shipping. This is the kind of guy you want to do business with. Nice product and excellent service.

Looking at the web site I now see they have covers for the weekender as well as the day sailor. They were also very much into racing pond models, Steve.
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

I'm just finishing sewing up a new jib for my ty. I'm very likely to just fabricate something myself sea hunt thanks for the great advise... very useful info in that post.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes