Dual Headstays

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

restless

Re: Dual Headstays

Post by restless »

Restless is a CD40.

I eliminated the club footed boom 8 years ago and have never missed it. It becomes a liability in big winds when flailing on the foredeck. More than once it tried to knock me overboard.

I have added furling to the staysail and have found a nice way to still have self tacking. Picture attached.
Jack Jamison wrote:I sail a CD28 with a club-footed jib and I’m about to take on a partner. He would like roller furling and has no interest in the club footed jib while I like the self tacking jib and am loath to spend the money for roller furling and new sail.

I’m considering re-rigging with dual headstays and selling him on the advantages.
 I expect to be able to have both my genny and jib hanked on while flying only one of them. A sail change could be done very quickly and easily.
 I also expect to be able to fly both (with main doused) while running.
 Finally, I expect this will cost less than $500 if we do it ourselves.

Does anyone have any experience or comments?

TIA,
Jack
Sea Belle, Rockland ME

jjjinc@worldpath.net
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ted Vander Wiede
201-218-4561
CD_Sailor

Post by CD_Sailor »

restless wrote: ... I eliminated the club footed boom 8 years ago ...
... which is very nearly when this thread was started. I hope your message reaches the original writers.
S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

Post by S/V Necessity »

Even if his message doesn't reach the original writers, it'll be in an appropriate thread...
Russell

Post by Russell »

Indeed, it does not matter that it is a 10 year old thread, its still good info contributed to the board. I dropped the staysail boom as well and i know its a pretty common change for a lot of owners. But I went with traditional sheeting for the staysail, going without the boom and retaining self tending is probably something a lot of people will be interested in, regardless of who originally posted here 10 years ago. Never discourage posting good information!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I think the staysail boom issue is all about how you use your boat. If I was sailing Raven offshore all the time I would get rid of the boom.

We went for a nice sail yesterday with another couple who were not sailors. I did have Tim adjust the main sheet when we changed our point of sail but I handled the jib sheets whenever we tacked. Having to deal with sheets for the staysail would have been a major inconvenience. Short tacking, in traffic, out of the mouth of the Mystic River made me really thankful for the staysail boom.

Double headstays might be a nice feature but having two slots in the foil on a roller furler seems like the best way to accomplish this these days.

If you are racing then that is a whole other game which I know very little about but may benefit from two head stays. Then again I don't see any race boats these days with that set up either.

I would opt for keeping the original set up. If you sail the boat for enough years that it seems like you just have to change things then I would save some money durring that time to buy a roller furler, Steve.
CD_Sailor

Post by CD_Sailor »

S/V Necessity wrote:Even if his message doesn't reach the original writers, it'll be in an appropriate thread...
The original thread was titled "Dual Headstays." All replies from 2003 were about this particular subject. The most recent post discussed the inner headsail stay, an entirely separate subject. Even so, it would be interesting to hear from some of the original posters from 9 or 10 years ago to learn how they addressed their problems.
CD_Sailor

Post by CD_Sailor »

Russell wrote:Indeed, it does not matter that it is a 10 year old thread ... I dropped the staysail boom as well and i know its a pretty common change for a lot of owners ... Never discourage posting good information!
Good advice, but since the original subject had nothing to do with the inner stay (as I discussed above), it seems a new separate thread on the new separate subject would be appropriate.