Hurricane Sandy at City Island, NY

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Hurricane Sandy at City Island, NY

Post by Bob Owens »

City Island, NY at the western end of Long Island Sound--home to four yacht clubs and several commercial boatyards--suffered significant tidal surge during Sandy, but probably less than might have occurred. My own Harlem Yacht Club had almost its whole fleet hauled out by the time the storm hit, and none of our boats in their cradles suffered damage. The water level Monday night stopped one-to-two feet below the point at which our boats would have begun to float out of their cradles (We all are required to used steel JOWI cradles; no jack stands.) We have two CD 27s in our fleet, and both are fine. Our docks and house did suffer damage, but nothing catastrophic. City Island Yacht Club also had no boats destroyed in their yard. Sadly, Stuyvesant Yacht Club, just 4 blocks away from HYC, suffered major damage to their boats on the hard. Photos show a sickening jumble of boats that looks like a giant game of boat pick-up-sticks. Very sad. I don't recall seeing any CDs in their fleet. Best wishes to all my fellow CD owners; I hope your craft came through the storm safely.
Bob Owens