Cape Dory 28 #241 for sale (Tantalus) **SOLD!**

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
John Ring

Cape Dory 28 #241 for sale (Tantalus) **SOLD!**

Post by John Ring »

1979 Cape Dory 28 #241 “Tantalus”

SOLD

Recent Beta 14 diesel with 190 hours and optional 70 amp alternator, high rise exhaust, motor mounts, and drive saver, new shaft, PSS shaft seal, new cutless bearing.

Variprop 3 blade feathering prop, Andersen 28st self tailing winches, All LED interior lights, LED fwd nav lights.

Edson wheel steering, Raymarine ST-60 depth/knot/water temp with below deck repeater. Azimuth KVH binacle compass, Plastimo (see thru) bulkhead compass, Ray 45 VHF. Full cockpit cushions. 110v shore power & Guest 10 battery charger.

Harken mid-boom sheeting, Harken roller furling, Doyle Stack-Pack mainsail, 135% tri-radial genoa on roller.

Pressure water in galley & head sink, Recent galley cooktop (modern non pressurized), recent cabin & V berth cushions (with original Cape Dory coverings). 8 bronze opening ports.

Recent head, hoses, valves, & holding system: Raritan PH-III head, with holding tank, sani hose, (Options: direct overboard, holding tank, tank deck pump-out, or overboard tank pump-out)

Most original seacocks replaced with marine UL listed ball valve seacocks,

Stainless dorade and low profile vents, new lifelines, new manual bilge pump.

22# claw anchor with custom roller/cradle, 25' chain, & 200' nylon anchor rode.

New for 2012: Island Nautical dodger, bimini, and cover for the Stack-Pack main. New mast steaming/deck light, new DC electrical distribution panel. Teak toe rail & rub rail refinished with Cetol. Compounded/polished/waxed topsides, & new boot strip to match the new brown canvas. New cove stripe tape & proper CD logos for & aft. New Makrolon (tinted UV stabilized polycarbonate) lenses for skylight, and forward hatch.

This was a freshwater boat until 2002 when I had it trucked from Michigan. As the boat was in storage for several years prior to my purchase and the hull was extremely dry, I stripped the hull bare and added an epoxy barrier coat as a preventative measure. The boat has never had a blister, and is now painted with ablative bottom paints to eliminate bottom paint build up.

This is a turn key boat that needs nothing. Every switch, every light, every device works as it should. She has some gel coat crazing, and the headliner could use a coat of paint to cover stains from the factory. I also have the original club jib boom and bronze casting in storage.

Winter storage paid, USCG Documented

SOLD

Port Side Chainplate (the orange stuff is spray adhesive that failed to hold the old vinyl liner in place):

These interior images are a little older, still showing the old electrical panel, and unfinished cabin sole:

Cheers,
John
Last edited by John Ring on May 8th, '13, 15:08, edited 14 times in total.
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
timsparrow

Re: Cape Dory 28 #241 for sale (Tantalus)

Post by timsparrow »

Where are you located?
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

Beverly, MA, about 20 miles north of Boston.

John
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

I have been aboard.definately turn key!
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

pete faga wrote:I have been aboard.definately turn key!
Thanks Pete!

If you hear a 36' "Tantalus" calling for a Scituate mooring next summer, stop on over!

John ;)
CD36 #135
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

Congratulations on the new boat John. Tantalus I's Beta repower, dripless stuffing box, Variprop, self-tailers, etc. have me drooling on my keyboard. And you just can't put a price on those Austin Powers style original Cape Dory cushion covers.
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

Stan W. wrote:Congratulations on the new boat John. Tantalus I's Beta repower, dripless stuffing box, Variprop, self-tailers, etc. have me drooling on my keyboard. And you just can't put a price on those Austin Powers style original Cape Dory cushion covers.

Thanks Stan!
Philip Tanner

Post by Philip Tanner »

John.... My name is Richard Tanner. Could you please email me your phone number at rtann@live.com. Thank you. Is "Tantalus" in the water or in storage for the winter months?
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

Updated photos to include port side chainplate (exposed), Raymarine instruments under way, and better picture of electrical panel.

To see more, click here: http://home.comcast.net/~ringj/TechnicalTantalus.htm

John
AncientPelican

Post by AncientPelican »

Hello John
My wife and I have been looking for our last Cape Dory. We previously had a 270 and currently a Typhoon. We have been looking for a real nice CD30 but have not found the perfect one yet. Your Tantalus is beautiful and the CD28 might be just what we are looking for. We live in CT and are driving up to Georgetown ME tomorrow morning to look at another CD30. Any chance we could meet tomorrow in the late afternoon? If not maybe next week.
Thanks
John and Louise Buraceski
H 860-673-0869
C 860-202-0498
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

bump
bill2

Post by bill2 »

Hey John

Congrats on your upgrade and another testimonial as to the fine condition of Tantalus I.

For those interested here's a link to a couple ( more ) fotos from Stan's CD28 at the BHIR in Sept '07:

http://www.hwejr.com/Boats/Massachusett ... &k=XwQ3W6v

http://www.hwejr.com/Boats/Massachusett ... &k=PbHHrGj

Fair Winds
Bill
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

Thanks Bill. We had some great races at the BHIR over the years!

Cheers,
John
MJMarroni

Post by MJMarroni »

John

We are interested in your boat. We live in North Andover and sail out of Eastern Point. Please e-mail me contact info. Alternatively, you could also give me a call at my office: 978-689-6930 or cell: 978-689-6940

Thanks

Mark Marroni
abreece

Re: Cape Dory 28 #241 for sale (Tantalus) **New Price!**

Post by abreece »

Hi John,

Sounds like you are in the same position I was in this past summer/fall (bought a bigger boat and sadly selling the smaller one).

I wanted to let you know that I had great luck, and ended up selling ANGELINA (1982 CD27) using http://www.sailboatlistings.com. Great resource, free, and ANGELINA sold within 2 months of posting.

I hope this helps and best of luck,
Andrew
LEVERA
1966 41' Aage Nielsen/Paul E. Luke
Blue Hill, ME