My Typhoon Sank Last Night

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russell

Re: My Typhoon Sank Last Night

Post by Russell »

In all honesty, Seatows quote of $1800 does not seem unreasonable to me, I would have expected more. But no reason you cannot do this yourself with some rental equipment.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Keyscaptainadam

Post by Keyscaptainadam »

Tim

Keep us posted on the subsequent attempts to refloat.

Im on long island, northport harbor, and operate a launch for a mooring field of 300 plus boats.

My ty faced similar winds as you, torential rains, and short steep waves for hours in the mooring field.

I suspect that your scuppers were overwhelmed with the influx of rain/seawater which resulted in the sinking of the vessel.

My ty, a 77, waterline is at the level of the cockpit scuppers and when the boat has weight aft , water intrudes thru the rudder post as well.

Perhaps your vessel suffers the same plight resulting in this most unfortunate outcome.

Its not the titantic. You will raise her to sail again....im sure of it

Adam
S/V Velella .... CD 25 moored in Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island, NY
Sailing long island waters since 2009
http://www.adam-waywell.squarespace.com/
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

Good luck and good cheer!

The Mary Ellen Carter
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

so sorry for your accident. To refloat her get some inflatable air bags or even an inflatable dinghy and inflate it inside the boat. As long as the seacocks are open the cockpit will drain slowly. Should take some minor diving into the water to insert the inflatabes and a long weekend to do the work. Once she is off the bottom you can use a sump pump (electric or gas - should cost less that $500) to remove the water so she floats. Once the scuppers are above the waterline you are almost there. I acquired a Typhoon that was under water and restored it like new. Remove it from the water and then air it out thoroughly. Remove all storage area boards and dry. Then dry out the bilge - this is where you need to get all water out so if there are any voids between the keel and hull the water will not freeze in place and cause damage to the laminate. You may need to keep an eye on all items that are screwed into and through the deck since I wasn't impressed with Cape Dory caulking (or lack thereof). If you have an electric panel and electronics they may have suffered damages. Get some Wire Dry from an auto store and spray all connections and let dry thoroughly. It wouldn't hurt to have a fan inside moving air through the boat with all lockers opened. Should be OK after she is dry - pretty tough little boat! Good luck.
lrak

Post by lrak »

Perhaps a short strap under the keel connecting two construction equipment inner tubes would provide enough buoyancy to get the combing boards above water? Something like these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170836464876
ipswich

Post by ipswich »

so what we ended up doing was attaching a hook to the stern cleat and hoisted the boat up by the stern with a chain lift. somehow that stern cleat held all that weight- i was impressed! once the rear was well and up, we started pumping out the cockpit. we had to use long boards to slowly raise the bow using the stationary dock as a fulcrum. it was a slow process but finally she popped up out of the water. we had enough time to get her to the lift to be taken out of the water because i noticed that she was taking on water which signaled a hole in the hull. indeed, there was quite a gash in the bow from repeatedly knocking into the dock in the high winds and high swells after the stern line had broken! the engine was salvaged and flushed and runs well. i lost some key items like the last board that closes the companionway and the round plastic top and the wooden top for the bilge in the middle of the cabin and i also lost my seats and anything else that could float away. but no worries because no one was hurt and i can repair the damage. after cleaning her for 7 hours of sludge, mud, crabs and little fish, she looks pretty good. all in all, it was an adventure! thanks for all your advice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Congratulations!

Post by Gary M »

Good for you. I wish I were around to see it happen.

I don't know how the heck you got the boat to the hoist with that size hole. I can only guess that the liner in your Ty was slowing down the water.

And to beat all you already have the engine running.

Good work.

Gary
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Wow! Glad to hear that turned out pretty well. It just shows that water is heavy but happy to move any direction you can direct it. Then your work is simplified. I was really nervous for you for a while. If you chose to forgo outside help, spend a bit of time with the West System book prior to attempting repairs by yourself. This does not sound like a particularly difficult repair.

Jeff