Anchor Locker on Cape Dory 25D; Water drainage

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Bob Ohler

Possible source of water into bilge.

Post by Bob Ohler »

I owned a CD25D. I had the same problem with water finding its way from the anchor locker into the bilgle. I discovered there was void between the anchor locker and the stem of the boat. Waves were splashing onto the leading edge of the bow, into the gap, and draining into the bilge.

I solved the problem by inserting a snug fitting piece of poly tubing between the drain hole in the anchor locker and exterior of the bow. I sealed it with a good quality caulk, trimmed the outside end of the tubing and the problem was solved.

Let us know if this works for you.

Bob O.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Anchor Locker on Cape Dory 25D; Water drainage

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Hello Bob:

I am not sure exactly what you are describing. However, I know I have not had "waves splashing over the bow", at least not yet. :wink:

I get water in the bilge and engine sump when she is quietly resting on her mooring but experiences a heavy, sustained rain. I was thinking it might be water from the anchor locker (my anchor locker hatch cover has several "gaps", etc. that would allow a lot of water to enter) gravity draining into the bilge. However, most posters have said that is really not possible.
Bob Ohler wrote:I owned a CD25D. I had the same problem with water finding its way from the anchor locker into the bilgle. I discovered there was void between the anchor locker and the stem of the boat. Waves were splashing onto the leading edge of the bow, into the gap, and draining into the bilge.

I solved the problem by inserting a snug fitting piece of poly tubing between the drain hole in the anchor locker and exterior of the bow. I sealed it with a good quality caulk, trimmed the outside end of the tubing and the problem was solved.

Let us know if this works for you.

Bob O.
I am not really sure what you mean Bob by a "void between the anchor locker and the stem of the boat." If you have time could you explain that a little more :?: And remember, you are talking to a dummy so please keep it simple. :oops:

I am assuming the tubing you inserted was very, very short, perhaps only 1" - 2" at most :?:

Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Robert,

Inspect the drain in the anchor locker. Take a coat hanger and see if there is a void between the inside of the locker and outside of the bow of the boat. I found a void. The drain was actually letting water in though the bow and into this void and then into the bilge. I solved the problem as described above, with a short piece of tubing, sealed with a quality caulk.

Good luck!
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
RC James

Post by RC James »

SeaHunt- the anchor well should not be a problem w/bilge water. The only intrusion points I can think of are 1: the Reefer/Icebox if you use ice/cold water (i.e. condensation)for refrigeration,and 2: the drainage from the forward head faucet. which also drains into the bilge. The only other point of freshwater entry would be a leak in the freshwater holding tank or its connections to the starboard of the engine compartment---- one to the kitchen sink and one to the forward sink.

In addition, if the water tastes like the Florida area that you are moored in, perhaps the engine/cockpit seacocks are weeping ever so quietly? I found that the Chesapeake Bay had mysteriously loosened my backing nuts ..... damned jellyfish!!
Check the O-rings on the speedometer if you have one installed in the bilge (my '82 has it in the port-side of the bilge).
The last thought is that water is seeping from the forward area (head and intakes) down over the keel (the area under the cabin floor) - an often overlooked storage area- and thence into the bilge.

The search for the ubiquitous sump pan leak continues.................. I've found that leaving the tiller in the horizontal position results in less water in the engine pan than if I leave it locked vertically. ..... yet another reason to reseal the teak around the rudder base and its accompanying rudder tube

Best of luck. RC Norfolk VA

/