depth finder location

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jdpmus

depth finder location

Post by Jdpmus »

Here in Texas our inland lakes have experienced drastic changes in levels during our drought. Our particular lake, though not hard hit, has uncovered some low water obstacles and sand bars that are making us more cautious.

In response to this I am installing a depth finder on our CD 25 hoping to remedy the situation somewhat. I am considering mounting the in-hull transducer near the bow but below the waterline and snaking the cable aft to the cockpit for attaching to the head unit. I know I can access the area through the hatches under the v-berth but wonder if I will be able to fish the cable under the cabin sole and back to the cockpit.

If anyone has done this and can offer any advice, I will be very appreciative.
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Re: depth finder location

Post by Terry »

Hi,

There is access along the water line going aft to the sink. On Cassandra, also a CD25, one previous owner cut a hole beneath the head to access the hull. He then epoxied the standard oil-filled wooden box to the hull with the transducer installed through the top of the box. I replaced the sounder with an electronic one, leaving the old box in place. To mount the new transducer, I formed a blob of epoxy on the hull near his box, getting the top as level as possible. Once it cured, I sanded it smooth and nicely level. I then tested my transducer with petroleum jelly to ensure good response. It worked, so I epoxied the transducer to the blob.

The cable is currently running beneath the shelf, though I'll move it when I replace the water tubing, running it along the tube.

Sorry about your low-water levels. Here in Georgia, we've experienced them too. A few years ago we were down 22 feet. After a nice winter, it went up to full pool. It's been bad this summer, and is headed down to 18 or so. While most obstructions are marked, there are some nasty shoals heading into small coves that make nice anchorages.

All the best.

Terry
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Near the bow is probably a bad place because of air bubble sin the water layer.

Midships is better..
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Jdpmus

Post by Jdpmus »

Thanks guys for the help. I spent 6 hours today getting it installed. Trying to put it forward didn't work, but found a place starboard amidships about 12 inches from center that worked well. The instructions that came with the unit (Hawkeye D10D) were very detailed regarding placement and installation. I am cutting a 2 inch hole in a piece of wood for the head unit that will mount in the forward opening of the lazarette, just under the tiller arm of the motor. That way I can unplug and store the unit when not on board.

Now if we can just get some rain to fill up the lakes...