Farewell Bob Vander Wiede

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Carl Thunberg

Farewell Bob Vander Wiede

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I received a telephone call from Mary Jane Vander Wiede today informing me that long-time sailor, CDSOA member, and CDSOA Board member has lost his battle with cancer. I know this is short notice, but for those who may be able to attend, calling hours are tomorrow (Monday 8/13/2012) from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm at the Guilford Funeral Home in Guilford, Connecticut. A mass of Christian burial will be held on Tuesday, 8/14/2012 at 10:30 am. See the link below for Bob's obituary.

http://guilfordfuneralhome.com/?action= ... yid=126225

On a personal note, I was fortunate enough to enjoy Bob and Mary Jane's hospitality on-board their CD40 "Restless" on a number of occasions. Bob will be missed.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: Farewell Bob Vander Wiede

Post by Joe Myerson »

Carl,
Thanks for posting this.
I also received a call from Mary Jane, and I also had the pleasure of knowing Bob. Though I never got to sail on Restless, I will never forget the hard work that Bob and Mary Jane put into preparing delicious burgers and chicken at the Buzzards Bay rendezvous a few years ago.
Bob's cheerful presence will be missed by all who knew him.
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
RC James

Post by RC James »

Alfred Lord Tennyson

English author often regarded as the chief representative of the Victorian age in poetry. Tennyson succeeded Wordsworth as Poet Laureate in 1850; he was appointed by Queen Victoria and served 42 years. Tennyson's works were melancholic, and reflected the moral and intellectual values of his time, which made them especially vulnerable for later critic.

Early Spring Once more the Heavenly Power / Makes all things new,

Ode to Memory

Ring Out , Wild Bells Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

The bar referred to is a sandspit or similar promontory at the mouth of a river or harbour where tides have deposited sand over time. To hear the wind and waves moaning off the bar usually means that there is insufficient water to sail over the bar without grounding. Hence the second verse and its reference to a "full tide" or "high water"
---- TOO Much Preliminary Editing, but the thought remains the same.............Fair Winds and a Running Tide to an Easting member of the CDSOA.

RC
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

RC James wrote: ---- TOO Much Preliminary Editing, but the thought remains the same.............Fair Winds and a Running Tide to an Easting member of the CDSOA.
RC:
Don't worry about preliminary editing. Your posting speaks for all of us who knew Bob.
Thank you,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

Bob was a super guy and although I didn't spend a lot of time with him, when I did it was awesome.
Fair Winds and Lovely Seas on the other side, Bob, I hear its a lovely beam reach from here on out!
Rit
joelcunningham
Keyport, NJ

Post by joelcunningham »

I met Bob and his lovely wife only two times: the day I drove to Connecticut to buy "Omega" and the day they towed her down to me in Jersey in 2010. They were very pleasant and friendly,as well as fair dealing. I sailed the boat more than forty times last season. "Omega" is my first boat. No matter the weather, I will sail this Sunday in Bob's memory,and keep thoughts of him throughout the day.