Nav app.?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Nav app.?

Post by Jim Walsh »

What is your favorite navigational app.?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
David van den Burgh

Re: Nav app.?

Post by David van den Burgh »

iNavx
azucha

Post by azucha »

iNavX™ for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch supports the most extensive and updated online chart and map catalog. Great if you have GPS WIFI or 4G iPad. I use companion piece GPSNax on Mac and pick up GPS data through direct cable. GPSNavx is Free.
Jim Evans

Post by Jim Evans »

I like Navimatics Charts & Tides for two reasons: 1) it's only $20 per region, such as the US East Coast, and 2) it integrates with Active Captain very nicely. With an Active Captain subscription (free), you have access to real-time reviews of marinas, anchorages, hazards, etc from other mariners.

I've not used iNavX, but it looks like an excellent package. It's probably best to have both apps - for the better charts with iNavX, and the Active Captain overlay with Navimatics.
Jim Evans
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

My Ipad is not 4G and thus doesn't have GPS capabilities unless I am in range of a network. No Longer.

I bought a GPS receiver from BadElf.com and fits into the charging port of the IPad and it then works on any other chart programs regardless of WiFi signals. Just this week Garmin announced a new GPS bluetooth receiver that works for apple and android applications. While the thought of a bluetooth receiver is appealing to me, I am not too sure I would trust it, but its too late anyway.

The Garmin receiver is $99 and the badelf was 119 as I recall. As I recall and remember I have slept since then, Active Captain does not currently support IPad and they suggested I use "Marina Life" AppI which contain similar information, but I dont use it.

I really dont need this stuff for our lake, but it's fun to play with and I use two chart systems iSailor and EarthNC. I don't really know much about either except one of them has free charts and the other you have to purchase the charts (iSailor I think) but don't hold me to that.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

barfwinkle wrote:I don't really know much about either except one of them has free charts and the other you have to purchase the charts (iSailor I think) but don't hold me to that.
I recently broke my vow never to enter the world of smart phones, and bought myself an iPhone 4 (no Siri for me--at least not now).

I've downloaded iSailor, which gets high marks from Practical Sailor. As far as I can tell, you don't have to buy charts, because it uses the free raster charts from NOAA. I'm not positive of this--I've only downloaded my local chart so far.

According to the info available at the App Store, the advantage of this program is that once you've downloaded a chart to your iPhone, the app relies on your phone's GPS, rather than a network or data connection, to mark your position.

Once again, I'm not sure at this point, as I haven't used it on the boat. Since I've got a Standard Horizon chartplotter, this would only serve as a backup, or as a navigation program were I to sail with somebody else.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
NateHanson

Post by NateHanson »

I use Navionics ($10, includes all charts). Good for chart browsing While planning or dreaming about trips. Fine for backup navigating too. I don't try to interface with other devices though, so I can't comment on that.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

There are a number I use that I like, each different but with some overlap. They're easy to find on a search...

In no particular order...

Sea Tow. They have land and marine weather + tides and more. FREE

DragQueen. It's an anchor alarm. The alarm itself would wake the dead but if you're dragging, I suppose it's worth it. FREE

MyRadar. The best way, IMO, to know if T-storms are in your future. FREE

Navionics. Charts for everywhere, tides, currents and more. Less than $10.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
grluecke

Post by grluecke »

While you do have to have a USB connected GPS receiver, if you look at OpenCPN, it is a free application for PC and Linux that uses NOAA-provided charts.

Disadvantages: you have to use your PC on the ocean..but for $300, get a NetBook.

I do not think it ties in radar at this point, but it does talk to other NMEA devices.

Has ManOverboard, AnchorDrag, download track to pdf...I had the parts, and managed to work thru the software setup OK, and now I love it.

I should probably just spring for a chart plotter...??
Greg and Jennifer
Oceans' Poem CD30K #245
Cundy's Harbor, ME

We hail out of Portland these days!