Albina Model 7B Windlass Repair

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

hilbert

Albina Model 7B Windlass Repair

Post by hilbert »

I have a simple ratchet-geared windlass that needs some attention.
The intermediate gear shaft is held in place by a screw with a head that I do not recognize.
Does anyone know the proper tool to remove this screw?
Thanks,
Russell

Re: Albina Model 7B Windlass Repair

Post by Russell »

It looks like an allen wrench would do the trick, but the photo is a bit blurry so I may not be seeing some detail.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

An allen wrench doesn't grab anything.
Mybe it is a polydrive. Wikipedia writes that they are used in high-torque applications, such as driveshafts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydrive#Polydrive). .
It is difficult to get a clear macro shot without blocking the light. Here is another picture:

The odd thing about the windlass is that one of the the pawls doesn't line up with the drive gear. The gear has an offset on one side. I think that the gear was installed backwards. The pawl is in the bottom left side of this picture:
Russell

Post by Russell »

Interesting. I looked up polydrive and after seeing some photos, I do not think that is what it is. I found a cool website though that shows dozens of odd bolt head types:

http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a- ... -Much-Mor/

Its interactive, click on the diagram and a few photos of each type show up. Going through several possibles on that chart still didnt show anything that really looked like what you have there though. Is it possible that the maker came up with their own proprietary head? I am very curious what you ultimately figure out.
Russell
Russell

Post by Russell »

Monday morning you might try calling RC Plath, seems they service Albina, they might be able to give you a quick answer. http://www.rcplathco.com/products/marine.htm
Russell
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Russell, you were right on everything.

I spoke with RC Plath. When they told me that they use allen head screws, I gave it another try.

The unit is now almost completely disassembled and cleaned.
I am very impressed with the quality of the components and how little wear they show after 40+ years.
I would have said that they don't make them like this anymore, but they do for about $2,000.

The last obstacle that I have is how to unscrew the clutch nut on the wildcat.
It am guessing that to loosen the nut, it should be turned in the direction that would let out the chain (clockwise).
That would make it a Left Hand Thread, opposite to normal thread so it tightens counter clockwise.

Does anyone know if my assumption is correct?

Thanks,
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

After you finish dis-assembly send it out and have the external components powder coated. In the long run you will be very glad you did.
Have A Nice Day
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

I was considering just removing the paint and letting the bronze do its thing.
Where would I send the external components for powder coating and how much could I expect to pay for this service?

By the way, my intuition was wrong again (I think fiberglassing makes one stupid). The thread on the wildcat was normal and the clutch nut opens by turning counter-clockwise (pulling the chain in).
Even though contractors laugh when they see it, my Rockwell jawhorse has been one of my most useful tools. Many times it has been better than having an extra set of hands.

ImageImage
Russell

Post by Russell »

If its bronze under the paint, then I agree, get the paint off and leave it be, it will look even better. If its aluminium, then either send it for powder coated or acid etch it yourself and paint it.
Russell
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

I've completed rebuilding a classic ~40+ year old ratchet-geared windlass, that I found on eBay.
All the stars aligned for a happy outcome.

First, RC Plath in Oregon still manufactures this manual windlass. They were very helpful in supplying a new bronze bushing for the main shaft.
Second, there is an exact drawing and description for this windlass on page 716 of Nigel Calder's "Mechanical And Electrical Manual", 3rd edition.

In addition to the bushing that had slipped from position and become damaged, the counter-drive gear was installed backwards and a pawl did not move freely. The result was that the windlass only cranked when the handle was moved in one direction (it should crank when the handle is moved in either direction).

The next step will be mounting it to the deck.

Russell

Post by Russell »

Looks great. After a few years of patina its really going to look top notch.
Russell