almost new owner cd 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

david g

almost new owner cd 27

Post by david g »

hello all
i'm very close to sealing the deal on a 1977 cd27 hull # 52. first is to stop the 1 drip / 3sec stuffing box(engine off).second is to install shore power, & get air cond.(will be livaboard) . any comments/suggestions will be welcomed.thanks
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: almost new owner cd 27

Post by Neil Gordon »

Where will you be living aboard? I spent a season on my 28 without air conditioning or AC power but that was in Boston.

As for the stuffing box drip, it's hard to get to but not hard to adjust. Do a search here and you'll find the details. Skip the notion of wrenches and go at it with a big hammer and screwdriver.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

David, congratulations on your new boat!. The toughest part of your stuffing box project will be removing the old packing, if you cannot "adjust out" the leak. Come to think of it, you may be able to simply adjust (tighten 1/4 turn or so) this year and completely remove the old packing and re-pack with new material on your next haul out.

Fair winds,
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
david g

Post by david g »

neil, i wil be living in N.C. somewhere around oriental.
bob thats the plan. anyone have experince with the smartplug for shore power? thanks
cguthrie

Post by cguthrie »

We have a CD27 as well. I've often wondered about living aboard in a more tropical clime than Maine. It seems to me that the boat would be too small even for one for very long and that books and what not would quickly get in the way. But I suppose with an iPad or similar that becomes less of an issue. What will you do about the stove -- put in propane?
Cliff Guthrie
david g

Post by david g »

cliff, i haven't tried the stove yet. if it will boil water it'll be ok. i'll probably put a propane grill on the aft rail.i know there's not much space for stuff thats why i'm getting rid of alot(of stuff)but i can stand up,sit &iay down so i'll make do.
Loren
Chaumont, NY

Post by Loren »

Boat size requirements for extended cruising is very subjective. My wife and I lived aboard our CD27 for 12 months and 6000 miles in 2000 - 2001 and also 3 other extended trips. We have many modifications aboard. Early on in our first trip I assumed a bigger boat would be in our future. By the end of that cruise it was clear to me that the CD27 met our needs well and opened up many areas because of its more compact size. It isn't the boat size that makes for an enjoyable voyage. Go small and go now.
On our first trip a fine lady on a beautiful vessel said "I just wish we hadn't waited so long" Her boat was beautiful but there was a price to pay. Final thought - does a camper in a $200,000 RV enjoy the outing more than a hiker who carries it all in his/her back?

Loren
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

Loren wrote:... My wife and I lived aboard our CD27 for 12 months and 6000 miles in 2000 - 2001 and also 3 other extended trips. We have many modifications aboard. Early on in our first trip I assumed a bigger boat would be in our future. By the end of that cruise it was clear to me that the CD27 met our needs well and opened up many areas because of its more compact size...
I am delighted to hear that you found the 27 worked out well for long term cruising.

The longest I've cruised is two months one summer, but I was very comfortable aboard (50% singlehanded, 50 % crewed).

Would you mind sharing the modifications you made, for my interest and possibly that of other 27 owners?
Loren
Chaumont, NY

Post by Loren »

Some of the modifications:

1) Repowered with 2GM20F and three blade prop in 1998

2) Replaced starboard settee with dinnette (booth) setup

3) Built a hard dodger and added full sunbrella encloser (nearly doubled "living" area - great area for rainy days)

4) All chain anchor rode (180 ft HT 1/4" chain)

5) Manual windlass (horizontal - works like sheet winches - no longer available in manual only)

6) Bow roller

7) Increased capacity and arrangement of water tanks.

8) Shelves in hanging locker across from head

9) Opened storage area behind head

10) Door to V berth is split and hinged in middle so it folds in front of hanging locker

Loren
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Loren, as a relatively new owner of a CD27 I would love to see pictures of those modifications. My wife and I are looking for ways to make Sláinte more livable.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Loren
Chaumont, NY

Post by Loren »

I'll try to get some photos posted but it might be a few days.

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=2103.0

This is the article on the dodger
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/good-old- ... odger.html

Loren
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

Loren wrote:Some of the modifications:...
Thanks, Loren for sharing these, much appreciated!
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

Loren wrote:Some of the modifications:...

3) Built a hard dodger and added full sunbrella encloser (nearly doubled "living" area - great area for rainy days)...

Loren
As Barbara & I recall that hard dodger & enclosure came in mighty handy (and mighty comfy) one cool misty evening in Northeast Harbor, Mount Desert Island, Maine. :)

Cheers,
John
CD28 Tantalus
http://home.comcast.net/~ringj/
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Loren
Chaumont, NY

Post by Loren »

It was a nice evening in Maine, great place and good company. :)

Loren & Betsy