Dingy Davits on a CD 30 MKII

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

Dingy Davits on a CD 30 MKII

Post by Michael Heintz »

Has anyone installed dingy davits on a CD 30. I've always felt it would be to much for that size boat....but now with a hard dingy I'd like to rethink the issue...

Your thoughts !!!!!!
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
Ed Haley

Re: Dingy Davits on a CD 30 MKII

Post by Ed Haley »

Hey, Michael. Hope you and Nan are doing well.

If you remember my CD330 Mokita, it had dinghy davits on her stern when I bought her in 2001. It had a 10 ft. inflatable/hard bottom dinghy attached and seemed to be a great solution to using a dinghy. However, in actual sailing, the davits could not lift the dinghy high enough off the stern. When sailing with anything more than a 20 degree angle the ends of the dinghy dipped into the water and affected sailing characteristics as you can imagine. Going with an 8 ft dinghy may have helped but I never tried it. I removed the davits and sold them.

If you consider davits for your CD30, you might consider the possibility that an 8ft dinghy might dig into the water when heeled over. I'm not sure how you would estimate whether this would happen to you but being a creative guy, you should be able to foresee any problems in this issue.

Hope this helps.