porthole cleaning?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

grluecke

porthole cleaning?

Post by grluecke »

Hi, all, in a couple of weeks, I get back up to Maine and my boat, but I want to think about cleaning the bronze on the porthole windows.

I'm not up to removing them or anything, but what's the best technique for getting the corrosion off the window and frames on the inside?

I'll deal with the outside (maybe) some other time.

I've tried to attach a picture that shows some port corrosion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg and Jennifer
Oceans' Poem CD30K #245
Cundy's Harbor, ME

We hail out of Portland these days!
grluecke

Re: porthole cleaning?

Post by grluecke »

Apparently, I don't know how to attach a photo...suggestions?

Not that it is essential, I imagine all of you have seen a CD with some corrosion on the ports...
Greg and Jennifer
Oceans' Poem CD30K #245
Cundy's Harbor, ME

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

I don't know, G R Luecke, how many pictures you sent in. I did see one interior shot of the cabin which came out loud and clear. Nice job.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
grluecke

Post by grluecke »

Ok, I see it now, origonally, there was some message about "you don't have the right priviledges..."

Anyhow, cleaning suggestions? Any that just require THOUGHT as opposed to elbow grease??
Greg and Jennifer
Oceans' Poem CD30K #245
Cundy's Harbor, ME

Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I have found that except for wiping off corrosion with a rag dampened in something (I forget what) this is a complete waste of time.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Post by darmoose »

try liquid gold, can be bought in all the stores, cleans corrosion and leaves a very nice patina. also looks great on the teak wood in our cd"s

Darrell
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Brasso, bronze wool and lots and lots of elbow grease...
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Russell

Post by Russell »

Vinegar is the best and easiest way to polish bronze. On peices you can remove just immerse them in a bucket of white vineger. Things you cant remove you can just use ketchup, brush it on and leave it until its a bit dried up then wipe it off.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Klem

Post by Klem »

rtbates wrote:Brasso, bronze wool and lots and lots of elbow grease...
I would add to that Never Dull (it might be spelled nevr dull or something like that). You might even start with something pretty abrasive like sandpaper.

If you go to the trouble of polishing them, you really should lacquer them or you will spend the rest of your life polishing.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

Klem wrote:...Never Dull (it might be spelled nevr dull or something like that)
Nevr Dull (LINK), as you say.
I really like it on stainless, or chromed bronze. Takes some patience, but it always seems to work.
Dangerous stuff for perfectionists, because you can always get it "just a little bit shinier".
I never thought of trying it on the green bronze.
Klem wrote:You might even start with something pretty abrasive like sandpaper
I completely agree - I suspect that Nevr Dull, or even bronze wool, might shred a bit on rough-cast pieces (like my ports). I think a (brass) wire brush might be best here, along with some ketchup, vinegar, baking soda, etc.
I have idly thought of trying the Dremel, since I think there may be a brass wire brush attachment for it.
Klem wrote:If you go to the trouble of polishing them, you really should lacquer them or you will spend the rest of your life polishing.
I have the impression (not from lacquering myself, though) that moisture can get under the laquer and make things uglier and harder to restore. Sort of like varnish, you have to seal the piece, and then keep maintaining the seal.

The sensible alternative, I think, is to do the bronze every twenty years, i.e whenever you feel like it. Its' shiny for a month, it's smooth and brown for six months, and then Mother Nature takes over.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Today I removed the two original Lewmar 7 bronze Genoa winches from S/V Bali Ha'i. This is in preparation for my installation of two Lewmar self-tailing winches.

I did not yet remove the two bronze winch stands. However, I would like to clean them and get them back close to their initial color. Right now, they have a classic bronze patina (sort of a dull darkish green). If possible, I would like to do this cleaning without removing the stands. Removing the two winches without loosing any parts to King Neptune was traumatic enough. :)

Any suggestions on returning the bronze winch stands close to their original bronze color :?: I have access to both vinegar and ketchup if those are the two best recommendations. Given what I spent on the new winches, I am probably willing to spend a few "boat units" to buy a cleaning/polishing product that does a quality job.

Last year at Strictly Sail Miami I purchased a small container of Prism Polish.

http://www.prismpolish.com/prismpolish.html

I have honestly not even opened the container. The website suggest this works on bronze (and ALL other metals). Has anyone used this stuff :?:

I welcome any and all thoughts, suggestions, recommendations.

I am hoping to clean the bronze winch stands tomorrow morning and install the new winches tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks in advance.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
paul marko

Post by paul marko »

The way we cleaned bronze, copper, sliver ,and pewter in Morrocco. was to slice a lemon dip it in salt and rub the lemon on the article to be polished, then clean and polish with a piece of cotton or wool cloth.

If you have an excess of lemons and salt the sysem works great.

just my two cents worth

Paul Marko/Ixcatl
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

I did all the bronze on my ty this summer. I used these. http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-511E-Coars ... 25&sr=8-52. Along with all kinds of cleaners. Then used permalac on everthong you can see what it looks like in my blog.. link below.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

ariasis wrote:I did all the bronze on my ty this summer. I used these. http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-511E-Coars ... 25&sr=8-52. Along with all kinds of cleaners. Then used permalac on everthong you can see what it looks like in my blog.. link below.
Chris:

That is very impressive. The picture I saw of the winch and stand (with a duck in the water :wink: ) is what I would like my winch stands to look like so that they initially match the new winches. Then, they can "grow old" together. :D

I have a Dremel. I will look for the attachments at a local hardware store.

Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Polishing bronze is a project best suited for the next owner.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698