1981 CD 27 on Ebay - 1 day left!

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
whitejw1967

1981 CD 27 on Ebay - 1 day left!

Post by whitejw1967 »

I found this 1981 DC 27 on Ebay this weekend (June 10). It was donated to a charity and is on auction. Last time I checked, the max bid was $2000. I am NOT the owner, broker, or related to the seller in any way--I'm just a CD enthusiast who dreams of owning one someday. If my wife were on board (figuratively), I'd be bidding!

If interested, check out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Cap ... 1078203504

or simply google "cape dory 27 ebay". If my wife were on board, I'd be bidding.
John
NateHanson

Re: 1981 CD 27 on Ebay - 1 day left!

Post by NateHanson »

That boat's been on the bottom at some point, I'd say. There's a water line around the interior, about 6 inches over the sole.
whitejw1967

Re: 1981 CD 27 on Ebay

Post by whitejw1967 »

It does appear that the port side might have been in the water. There seems to be what looks like water damage on the back of the port settee and in the v-birth near the top of the teak. The engine supposedly runs fine "last time" it was started (but that might have been quite some time ago). So I'm not sure of the history of the boat; probably a project. There is supposedly a guy one can call for more information listed on that website. Of course, BUYER BEWARE.
John
wizard

Post by wizard »

Boat sold for $4162.00 and he will put probably another 15-18k into it to bring it back to where it should be. That's with him doing most of the work. Diesel would be questionable, looks shot. That's 3-5k to replace. Good luck to him in saving the boat, but don't kid yourself, it will cost some major bucks to restore it, been there done that, twice.
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

Seems like a few individuals assume that every boat has to be perfectly restored to be enjoyed.

Nonsense!

Make the boat safe. Enjoy the time on the water. Besides, many of us enjoy the labor of love of a "slow restoration" — and get to sail, too!
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
wizard

Post by wizard »

By all means, enjoy the boat, make it safe, but looking at this particular boat, and mind you only in pictures, it could be better or worse none of us would know until we could inspect it firsthand. At any rate, the entire boat would have to be gone over from standing rigging to wiring to engine to thru-hulls. In my opinion you are correct, a slow restoration as funds become available and if you can use the boat safely during the process all the better. The bill to make it safe, not just cosmetically pretty, which surely plays a part for some people, will be in the thousands of dollars that's for sure.
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

I purchased one of these eBay boats. I paid $1,250 for a 1978 CD25. I needed to barrier coat the hull (it was all blistered), replace the broken plastic ports with (by choice) opening bronze ports (resizing the port rough-openings), replace the teak toe/rub rails, replaced ALL of the standing and running rigging, etc. Much like Stan Freihofer's restoration project (http://www.reefroof.com/).

Because I have another boat that is in sailable condition, I have not spent as much time on the CD25. If I spent a focused week or so on it, it would be ready to put in the water. Having the other boat (and a day-job, and also that Laser I fixed up) is the diversion.

So far I have less than $5,000 total (including the purchase price) invested in this boat. The time spent and what I have learned is priceless.

Don't be too quick in accepting a throw-away culture. Most Cape Dories are worth restoring — with the proper expectations. Enjoy...
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I have NEVER bought anything on EBay and never would. I know I am out of line with the current thinking in society. So be it.

Out of curiosity I looked at the website. An immediate and permanent "turn off" was the following language:

THIS ITEM IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING

IT IS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY IN FORT MYERS FL AND NOT AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING

The owner of the "private property" has supposedly given permission to dock/store the boat on his (or her) property. If so, why cannot prospective "bidders" inspect it :?: Makes no sense.

If I had $100 to throw away (I do not - Guinness has recently gone up in price by a few cents a pack :( ) I might throw $100 at this. Nothing more without the opportunity to at least physically stand in her cockpit and cabin and look at her hull.

I know; silly me; asking for the unreasoonable. :)
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
wizard

Post by wizard »

Good for you, I too have restored 2 Cape Dory's my CD 27' and a CD 31' While I can understand the enjoyment of working on one's boat and having that be a learning experience, there are other areas of restoration that one cannot escape. The price of materials, parts, transportation of getting the boat to a boatyard, decommisioning, transporting to a secure place to work on it, Ft. Meyers is not inexpensive, been there. Most places charge a monthly rent which adds up. Some people may have access to a free place to bring it to so they can work on it, others do not. Just transporting it on a hydraulic trailer can be upwards of 500.00 plus then you either build a cradle or buy the adjustable stands at 150.00 a piece. The 27' at the least would need 4, 6 is better. If they were going to buy a trailer to escape the transporting costs when they are done, then those cost can add up providing they can modify an existing trailer for half the cost of purchasing a new one. If they plan on trailering to other parts of Florida or the US then they would want to invest in a trailer maybe from Triad Trailers that make them for the 27' for about 6k. Most people tho don't trailer-sail a CD 27' as it's just a little big and weighs 7500lbs in which you would need a full size pickup to do so. At any rate, I applaud you for keeping your costs down to a very managable area. Hopefully you had a trailer to transport your 25' on and a free place to work on it at your leisure, all the while at least having a smaller sailboat to sail with, when you needed that sailing fix as we all do while we are in the process of restoring. Hopefully the new buyer will have all the good fortune to keep their cost within reason and enjoy restoring their new Cape Dory 27'
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

wizard wrote:Good for you, I too have restored 2 Cape Dory's my CD 27' and a CD 31'

While I can understand the enjoyment of working on one's boat and having that be a learning experience, there are other areas of restoration that one cannot escape. The price of materials, parts, transportation of getting the boat to a boatyard, decommisioning, transporting to a secure place to work on it, Ft. Meyers is not inexpensive, been there. Most places charge a monthly rent which adds up.

Some people may have access to a free place to bring it to so they can work on it, others do not. Just transporting it on a hydraulic trailer can be upwards of 500.00 plus then you either build a cradle or buy the adjustable stands at 150.00 a piece. The 27' at the least would need 4, 6 is better.

If they were going to buy a trailer to escape the transporting costs when they are done, then those cost can add up providing they can modify an existing trailer for half the cost of purchasing a new one. If they plan on trailering to other parts of Florida or the US then they would want to invest in a trailer maybe from Triad Trailers that make them for the 27' for about 6k. Most people tho don't trailer-sail a CD 27' as it's just a little big and weighs 7500lbs in which you would need a full size pickup to do so.

At any rate, I applaud you for keeping your costs down to a very managable area. Hopefully you had a trailer to transport your 25' on and a free place to work on it at your leisure, all the while at least having a smaller sailboat to sail with, when you needed that sailing fix as we all do while we are in the process of restoring. Hopefully the new buyer will have all the good fortune to keep their cost within reason and enjoy restoring their new Cape Dory 27'
Wizard - VERY important comments!

Our CD25 came with a cradle. Was loaded on to my utility trailer and then I towed it from eastern Lake Erie to my home in NH. Calculated this all before making my first bid. These difficulties also keep the prospective bids low. Once the CD25 is completed, I will look for something just a little larger (stand-up cabin) but need to keep the transportation costs reasonable. If the initial price is low enough, the cost of transportation is acceptable.

Since I had many of the solutions needed at hand, it was worth the chance to bid on the boat using only photos and eBay communication emails with the seller. EBay also does allow the buyer to make a final "Yea/Nay" inspection if the item does not match the condition described. The charity auction sellers acknowledge this and most give a wide interpretation since many cannot be inspected beforehand.

It is taking a chance to bid on a boat without actually physically seeing it to inspect it. I have had excellent luck with eBay boat purchases (5) — most have been these charity sellers. The end result is a lower price for the boat than I would have had to pay going through a broker.

This CD25 is the only one that was not immediately ready for the water at purchase time, but I knew that and accepted the situation before bidding.

We all have different skill sets and tolerances to risk. Purchase with your eyes open and be realistic with your abilities and resources. But a boat does not have to be "perfect" to be sailed. Make sure it is "safe". But enjoy the process!
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

~ Carl Lane
wizard

Post by wizard »

agree, but in this case it looks as tho the potential buyers were not allowed to view the boat prior to buying because it was on private property, according to the previous poster, that would be iffy. Sort of like a boat grabbag. You did well on yours and I am sure you thought out everything you could beforehand. When you're ready for that 27' or that 31, let me know, lol.
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

wizard wrote:agree, but in this case it looks as tho the potential buyers were not allowed to view the boat prior to buying because it was on private property, according to the previous poster, that would be iffy. Sort of like a boat grabbag. You did well on yours and I am sure you thought out everything you could beforehand. When you're ready for that 27' or that 31, let me know, lol.
It is important to enter the bidding knowing the limitations. Each time before bidding I scrutinized the photos and asked questions when I can't view the boat before hand. But this keeps the price much lower. I gambled with the know facts and kept a "maximum" price I would pay. I did have to pass up many good possibilities if the facts did not seem "correct".

Now when it comes to up-sizing I will want to have stand-up head room in the cabin. AND I will be looking for my idealized "$500 boat that needs just a little TLC". Yes, I will be looking for awhile until I stumble upon one. <grin>
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

~ Carl Lane
wizard

Post by wizard »

Well the 27' and the 31 both have stand up headroom, $500.00, that might take some time. You need a distressed seller, not a distressed boat, lol. good luck to you.
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

wizard wrote:Well the 27' and the 31 both have stand up headroom, $500.00, that might take some time. You need a distressed seller, not a distressed boat, lol. good luck to you.
I'm not in a hurry. But if the opportunity comes my way...
Reality will be in the form of a higher price.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

~ Carl Lane