Laptop for Onboard Navigation (as a backup)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tartansailor

Laptop for Onboard Navigation (as a backup)

Post by tartansailor »

Greetings,
I have the Maptech Chartbook, navigation software, the companion GPS software, and the BU353 GPS antenna with a USB plug in. I'm considering purchasing a Toshiba laptop to put it all together. My question is: has anyone gone this route, and if so, would you like to comment on experiences, recommendations etc. The venue is Chesapeake Bay.
Thanks in advance,
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Laptop for Onboard Navigation (as a backup)

Post by Duncan »

My decision has been to avoid the technology trap.

I did buy a "laptop for navigation". It was optimized for low power consumption, reliability, and so on. Then I realized that one of the things I like about sailing is not having to deal with computers all the time. So I have never even taken it out to the boat.

I have a fancy standalone chartplotter, but it was already installed when I bought my boat, and I call it "the video game".

I don't know the Chesapeake, but my impression is that I'd enjoy sailing those waters without the distractions of computer technology
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Hi

My navagation is as follows

1 chart plotter with autohelm and charts
2 computer with nobeltec and charts
3 Hand held gps and charts
4 radar and charts
5 compass and charts

This may seem like a bit much but in the bay of Fundy and gulf of Maine the fog is thick so it gives one peace of mind.

Phil
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

tartansailor,

My back-up navigation system is exactly as you describe. My primary navigation system is sight, chart and a compass (I'd say stars and planets too but someone would certainly call me out on that) :)

The laptop is a slow, old IBM Thinkpad - an extra that I had in the closet. I bought a new battery for it since it takes forever to boot up and the occasional bump on the 12V line would cause it to die, but with that issue solved with the fresh PC battery (and with it still connected most of the time to the boat's DC system), I am fairly happy with it for the price. Software and charts were free, GPS w USB cord was $35, and laptop cost was not an issue - I recall the new battery was about $30.

2 things that make it less than perfect are 1) hard to see laptop screen in sun (but I am usually using it at night) and 2) it seems a bit cumbersome to remember how to do things (tracks and points) since I only use it on occasion (but that would be true of higher end systems too).

All in all it serves its purpose. For me, the $1000+ price tag to get something real is not likely to happen.
Last edited by mashenden on May 30th, '12, 10:12, edited 2 times in total.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Post by Ken Cave »

We sail in the northwest,and it is necessary to use everything to avoid rocks, reefs, and other goodies that nature has to offer.

I have a Toshiba (actually two) loaded with Rosepoint Navigation software which includes maps of the entire coastline of the US. This program is current, and is out of Portland, Ore. I hook up my Garmin handheld to the computer and there is no need for an additional antenna. It tracts where I am on the map program and is very accurate. This program also has the ability to install an AIS receiver, as well as weather data if you can use Wifi plus a host of other goodies.

I do have a table that I installed that swings out into the companionway and is sprung so that one will not lose their computer in rough seas.

Simple system, and it really works.

Ken Cave
CD 28
Dragon Tale
LaConner, WA
John M

Post by John M »

I Purchased a surplus Itronix Gobook III with built in GPS on Ebay and loaded Coastal Explorer by Rose point software. It has worked great, I have duplicated the set up for a friend who is also very satisfied.
John M.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

The only lap top I use for on board navigation is the one I was born with. The chart kit fits quite nicely.

Navigation on board LIQUIDITY:

Close to home: Looking around + paper charts + depth meter*. With reduced visibility, + hand held GPS

Coastal cruising: Looking around + hand bearing compass + plotter (i.e., navigation protractor) + paper charts + depth + hand held GPS (to confirm position derived from other methods.) Note: Running fixes from lighthouse to lighthouse will generally suffice. With reduced visibility, GPS + paper charts + depth.

Off shore (i.e., out of sight of land): hand held GPS + paper charts + depth.

* Battery-free lead line carried as back up. Also, iPhone with Navionics app (charts, tides, currents and more; $9.99), Sea Tow app (weather, tides, currents and more; free), MyRadar (weather radar; free), Drag Queen app (anchor alarm; free)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
jerryaxler

Post by jerryaxler »

The waters of the Chesapeake are not that difficult, so charts,compass and a handbearing compass are all that are needed, but whatever makes you comfortable is the right way to go. On the bay a GPS is not necessary, but will give the beginner a sense of security. As a back up nav system you are probably overdoing it, but it would be fun to play with.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Tom Keevil

Electricity?

Post by Tom Keevil »

Running a laptop all day while you're sailing is going to take quite a bit of electricity. Do you have that large a house bank, and are you able to keep it charged?

It may be fun to play with, but you don't need it. As others have noted, a hand held GPS will allow you to set a waypoint for a tricky spot, or for a destination you can't see due either to distance or restricted visibility.

Despite Ken's warnings, we have sailed the Pacific Northwest for 30 years using charts, depth sounder, compass, radar and handlheld GPS, and have not yet hit one of our famous rocks.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

To be honest, the laptop thing is more about Weather Underground real time satellite images of the weather just beyond the horizon.
Another goal, and I hate to admit it is the desire to get the latest fishing reports from Tidalfishdotcom.
My primary piloting tool on the Chesapeake is:

and off shore, my Plath and the latest N.A.

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Bill Moore
Portland, ME

Post by Bill Moore »

Dick,

I experimented with something similar. A $300 netbook + gps puck + free software + free nav charts = chartplotter for under $350. I liked the functionality but wanted to use it in the cockpit. Sunlight hitting my laptop screen made it unreadable so I chalked it off as a failure. I sometimes carry the laptop as a backup but it is only useful at night or in the cabin. If you can, test the laptop in the actual conditions you plan for use.

Bill
Ben Coombs
King's Point, West Bath, ME

Post by Ben Coombs »

We sail the eastern edge of Casco Bay... Small Point to baileys island mostly. There are lots and lots of unmarked hazards. We use paper and line of sight mostly, but have a laptop at home we can use to plot "escape routes" for our favorite destinations. We only carry a handheld gps and if the fog or heavy weather comes in, we can fire up the motor and follow the safe route home.

Since our crew is only 6 and 2 years old, it's better to follow our escape to safer waters than to be a "real" sailor and try to beat into the fog or rain. I would say preparedness and prudence beats technology every time. Besides, we need the laptop for family movies and jiffy pop on the hook.

But on the other hand, who can argue with the fun of gadgets/toys:)
Ben Coombs