anti-seize compounds

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

anti-seize compounds

Post by tjr818 »

In the process of attaching a new rigid boom vang to the mast on our CD27 I felt I should use some anit-seize compound. What I bought says that it can be used for installing fittings, spark plugs, or bolts in aluminum heads. That sounded good to me, but when I smeared some on one of the screws it seems to contain a lot of copper powder. That doesn't seem right to me. What is the best compound to used?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Stan W.

Re: anti-seize compounds

Post by Stan W. »

"Tef-Gel" is the preferred goop for your situation.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

What Stan said.

I think our sailing club also uses it on mooring hardware to prevent shackle bolts from seizing. Seems to work.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

You are trying to use the "high temperature" type, which is not what you want. Permatex makes several anti seize compounds. The one you have is for automotive applications in the engine that get hot, like exhaust manifold studs. Permatex makes a low temperature version as well, it is grey and lists marine applications. It is Permatex #133A and It works great. My only complaint with it is that it makes a mess when you use it and seems to get on everything. You will wonder how it managed to get on things that are not even close to your work area.

It seems to resist cold welding and corrosion and is relatively water proof although I never tried to use it in anything that experienced constant immersion. I don't know how long it lasts before it dries out, but my experience is at least several years. I use it on anything that I might ever need to take apart in the future particularly engine parts. Some people don't recommend it due to the potential for galvanic corrosion in the salt, and prefer Tef gel, but I have never seen any trouble other then the mess it makes.
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

There is lanolin. Next up the ladder is Tuf-Gel. Followed by a lead based anti-seize. Continuing up the temperature chain you will find the copper based material and then the ultimate high temp which contains silver. The price seems to follow the same pattern.
Have A Nice Day
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

Stan W. wrote:"Tef-Gel" is the preferred goop for your situation.
Bingo. Blue LocTite also works quite well as can Lanokote. TefGel is by far the best I've used for preventing issues between aluminum & stainless..

Antiseize products containing graphite, copper or other metals tend to create galvanic problems when you add an electrolyte like salt water/spray...
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

For many years I have used simple "teflon pipe dope paste". It's the stuff you can buy in any hardware store. It comes in a plastic jar with an application brush attached to the inside of the top. I use this for any dis-similar metal contact and as an anti-sieze on turnbuckles and any SS bolt over 1/4" in diameter, especially if used with a ny-lock nut.

And of course it can be used to seal any threaded pipe joint. Great stuff!!

Thousands of miles and hundreds of uses and it has never failed.

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!