! GM thermostat & engine zinc replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John G.

! GM thermostat & engine zinc replacement

Post by John G. »

The last time I replaced thermostat and engine zinc was in 2003, am curious of other owners time schedules for this procedure. I'm not one to look for trouble but while it sits in my backyard the opportunity seems prudent
Ray Garcia

Re: ! GM thermostat & engine zinc replacement

Post by Ray Garcia »

The engine zinc should be inspected every year and replaced if necessary. I replace mine every other year since our boat is in salt water. In one season you would be amazed on how fast it disintegrates. I've never left it there more than 2 seasons.

The thermostat I remove and soak in some white vinegar to remove the gunk, and test in hot tap water for operation. You can take out the thermometer and test the exact temp at which the valve opens. I believe the thermostat goes wide open at 120 degrees F. (Anyone else is free to chime in on that) I also carry a spare thermostat on board if things should start to heat up.

These are both extremely easy preventative tasks to complete in order to keep your engine from internal corrosion and "melting".

Enjoy the season!
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

...and exactly where is the engine zinc? and also the thermostat? Over ten years of ownership I have never laid eyes on them.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Dick the Thermostat is on the forward end of the engine just follow your cooling hoses and you should be able to spot it. The zinc is on the port side just aft and maybe even behind the starter as I recall. Both are fairly straightforward maintenance chores.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Gary H

Thermostat and Zinc Photos

Post by Gary H »

Photos of Zinc and Thermostat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.