Standing rigging - Ty Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Standing rigging - Ty Weekender

Post by mashenden »

Does anyone have a good source to get new standing rigging for a Ty Weekender?

I am looking for a shop that knows the measurements - I do not want to waste time and money sending old ones in when they should be cookie cutter (assuming they did a set for a weekender in the past).

Any ideas on what I should expect in the way of price? I was thinking something like $300 but I could be way off-base on that. Any recent examples? I tried locally and received a ridiculous quote of $2,000. Uh, that is more than I paid for said boat. I'd sooner take the risk or convert to rope :D .

Related side thought: I plan to lengthen the boom support wire. I always thought the boom rests at an aesthetically odd angle on the Tys - needs to be more horizontal.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Re: Standing rigging - Ty Weekender

Post by bhartley »

Rigging Only. They will (as any good rigger will) require that you send in your rigging. You don't know that your rigging was/is standard and with Cape Dory standard was only an adjective. You will not be wasting your time/money sending in your rigging and they will stand by their work 100%. I told them to keep my old rigging, but they required that it be returned just in case. Good thing too since a minor error was made with a change request and one shroud needed to be remade. It won't be $2,000 and the shipping is about $15. Money well spent.

We are long time happy Rigging Only customers.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Another vote for Rigging Only! And yes you want to mark your old rigging and send it to them. You can work up a good estimate based on the
prices they have on the web page: http://www.riggingandhardware.com/c-642 ... gging.aspx The web page isn't great
but if you figure out what size wires you have, the total length, fittings and add swaging labor you will be within a few bucks. I don't
know exactly what fittings you have but my very quick guess is something like $450 including new turnbuckles. You may be able to
get all of your rigging in a US Postal service Priority Mail flat rate box, the large one costs $15.45 (even less if you purchase postage online).
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I needed new inner sidestays for my Ty, brought them in (rigging only) on a friday afternoon and they made them on the spot for me. I believe they were about $80 so $300 sounds about right.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I agree with everyone - Rigging Only is the only place to go! I did my Typhoon backstay and forestay as well and they recommended that I adjust and tape the barrel turnbuckles where I normally tensioned them. The new ones were perfect. There is no cookie cutter standing rigging due to cabin sag, mast rake etc. As for the angle of the boom - I installed a very small block at the top of the mast crane and then ran a 3/16" line from a clip at one end for the boom through the block at the top of the mast then down to a cleat on the mast. Since I lead my halyards back to the cabin top and installed roller furling (CDI 1) purchased from Rigging Only, I had a spare cleat on the mast. The topping lift then remains attached all the time - I just slack it after the main is up to avoid chafe on the main. When I leave the boat I have the option of using the original pigtail on the backstay or the new topping lift. I only need to tighten the topping lift prior to dropping the main. It is a lot better when dropping the main without having to reach around and attach the boom to the backstay then fend off the next gust that catches the attached boom and ...... or have the boom come crashing into the cockpit.
jim trandel
Location: '83 Typhoon Weekender, #1907 "Second Wind" Chicago Monroe Harbor

Post by jim trandel »

"Rigging Only" is very customer freindly!

Send to them the old stays & shrouds and they will replace with new and to exacting correctness in about a week.

Best regards,
Jim