Quick Release for Staysail Stay/ Info Needed

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Larry McAnally

Quick Release for Staysail Stay/ Info Needed

Post by Larry McAnally »

I would like to install a quick release for my CD36 staysail baby stay. Would like to do the install myself, thus no special tools. I have some quotes for the parts and they are varried, $400-$1,800. Have attempted to search archives with little success. Does anyone have any suggestions on doing this? Greatful for anyones experience on doing this.
Larry
Larry McAnally
CD36 CHANTY
CD27 WINDCHASER
Past Fleet Captain Central Gulf Fleet
Russell

Re: Quick Release for Staysail Stay/ Info Needed

Post by Russell »

You could cut the existing wire and use a stalock fitting to do it yourself. The inner forestay will need to be shortened to accommodate the quick release lever. I used to have one made by ABI before I switched to a furler for the inner, but i think ABI is gone. I know there is at least one company out there that still makes them though as I saw a Mason 43 who just had one installed this winter and it looked much nicer then the old ABI one i had.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Larry,

I have considered this for my 30 on the recommendation of my sailmaker. It looks like the best alternative is a Wichard part which is fairly pricey compared to the discontinued ABI. I think I settled on this one, although I am not sure it is appropriate for the 36:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=123600

I will use some sort of stay-lock fitting. I think I would size the stay-to-fitting end length such that the stay could be clipped to a shroud mount and use a short whip of wire at the forestay fitting to take up the rest of the line. What I had not yet done was to check that this would be usable with my staysail hank locations.

Jeff
Larry McAnally

Post by Larry McAnally »

Thank you Russell and Jeff for your replies and info. There seem to be two companies, Wichard and CS Johnson who make the quick releases. The range of pricing is a crazy $3,000 to $330. I really dont see the reason for the difference. On the termination of the cut stay you both suggest Staylock. Is Norsman not about the same. Defender carries the Norsman so I was considering it. Also Jeff I dont quite understand your suggestion as to the length for the fitting. The finished assembly will be the same as the existing stay length and the disconnect is at the tack. Are you thinking of a release shackle at the upper end of the adjuster? I realize the need for convenient storage of the disconnected stay as this has been a problem when I now disconnect it.
Thank you.
Larry
Larry McAnally
CD36 CHANTY
CD27 WINDCHASER
Past Fleet Captain Central Gulf Fleet
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Larry,

my sail maker suggested making the length of the stay such that the quick release could be attached snugly at the base of one of the shrouds. This is a bit shorter than the length required to reach its installed location. He suggested that that length could be made up with a short section of wire that could be left attached at the staysail deck fitting. The exact length of this section may need to be adjusted based on where the hanks are located on the staysail because they cannot fall on the fitting.

As a test, remove the stay from its lower fitting and test fit where you want to belay it. You will notice that there is about 2ft (on a CD30) of slack that you will need to remove if you want the stay to be snug when in the unused position.

I don't have a photo of this since I have not yet done it. I hope this explanation helped.

Jeff