Typhoon vs. Bullseye

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

casampson

Typhoon vs. Bullseye

Post by casampson »

If anyone has an opinion regarding the Typhoon vs. the Bullseye from Cape Cod Shipbuilding Co., I'd love to hear it. I gave up my latest Bullseye after more than 10 years of sailing them, mostly because they just seemed too small and unstable in the strong southwest winds of Buzzards Bay. (I know many will argue that the Bullseye is a very stable boat.) I've looked at a Typhoon Senior and felt it was too much boat for what I needed -- hence my interest in a Typhoon, which might provide a happy medium. All I'm really interested in is daysailing, at least for now. Thanks.
Jeff D

Re: Typhoon vs. Bullseye

Post by Jeff D »

Until last August I had both a Bullseye and a Typhoon. I bought the Bullseye almost new and sailed it in Marion for ten years. It was a great boat and I enjoyed working with the builder for parts and storage. Although many would likely disagree I think that Buzzards Bay in the afternoon was a little much at least singlehanded. I usually was done by 2pm. I also have a Ty Daysailer which I have sailed in Great Peconic Bay for 5 years. The conditions in Peconic Bay are really similar to Buzzards Bay. I think that the Ty was more well suited to the strong southwesterlies especially with a working jib.

In preparation for our move back to MA we decided to sell one of the boats. We decided to sell the Bullseye and sold it in 1 week for more than my purchase price 10 years earlier. The decision to sell the Bullseye came down to three things:

1. I think the Ty is better suited to moderate wind and chop
2. The Ty is better suited to an outboard. (the BE drags the outboard even when tilted up)
3. The Ty has more comfortable seats.

I hope this helps. If you need anything else, let me know.
Jeff
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Having sailed Buzzards Bay for more than five decades, and having raced Bullseyes there as a teenager, I would agree with Jeff that a Ty is probably a more comfortable boat for those lovely (for masochists like me) waters. I have never actually sailed a Ty.

The Bullseye's smaller cousin, the Herreshoff 12 1/2 was designed for teaching young people how to sail on Buzzards Bay, and plenty of folks still sail them on the bay today. There's also a very significant Bullseye fleet on the bay, since Cape Cod Shipbuilding is located in Wareham. Still, I think the Typhoon, especially with the main reefed (get rid of the roller-reefing and replace it with slab reefing), would be a much more comfortable boat to sail when the afternoon sou'westers and "square waves" come up.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
karonoko

Post by karonoko »

I have lots of experience with both, and agree that the Ty is your better bet. A sailing bussy of mine over-powered his Ty while sail alongside me in Maine in a huge blow - a beam-tobroad reach with the spinnaker and he broached her - filled the Ty full of water. A few buckets loads of water out and he was on his way - no worries. The Bullseye is not as seaworthy.
T. Duffus
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Go with the Ty. Having owned and sailed one on Buzzard's Bay for ten years I can speak from experience. It is the perfect day sailor for the Bay - and it relishes those smokey southwesters. No kidding, the Alberg design is very well suited to Bay conditions, but as suggested above - get rid of that stupid roller reefing.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)