Documenting the 25D revisited

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

A router it was

Post by Joe Myerson »

Carl,

A PO apparently took the same route that you recommend (get it?).

The Creme Brulee's documentation number was carved into a board with a router, and that board was epoxied to the side of the vessel on the starboard side of the boat's enormous head compartment.

It's a good thing, too, since I've never used a router myself.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

different strokes

Post by trapper »

Admittedly, I wanted the expensive board if the board was to be visible. So I put the options to my husband either the pretty and expensive one or cheap and ugly. The cheap and ugly had to be hidden. He told me to go ahead with the pretty one.

I have to admit that may have been one of those days when he did not quite understand what I said. His English is not that great, he is from Liverpool, England (that common language thing). He can out cheap my New England grandfather and redneck improvise like my southern grandfather! But sometimes I win :D Its here now and we just have to install it.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Different Strokes

Post by Oswego John »

Trapper,

In Columbia, SC, it may be Different Strokes For Different Folks, but not so in Liverpool.

The Brits say Different Strokes For Different BLOKES. :D (Deep groan)

Have a great day,
O J
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Trapper and all:

I am in the process of applying for USCG registration and documentation for S/V Bali Ha'i.

While awaiting approval I am trying to decide where I will put the USCG documentation plate and numbers and what type of plate, etc.

I like the plates that Trapper referenced in her post 30 September 2008 but they are 24" long :!: :!:

Trapper, where did you finally affix yours :?: One of your posts said you were going to put it above the starboard settee by cutting out a few slats. Did that work OK :?:

Any current suggestions, thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Documentation board.

Post by trapper »

I have beautiful one but you are right, it is a bit long. Currently it is sitting on the starboard shelf at the forward bulkhead. It appears to be attached but it is not. I think that maybe where we ultimately attach the thing. Another place might be in the quater berth.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Documentation board.

Post by Neil Gordon »

trapper wrote:Currently it is sitting on the starboard shelf at the forward bulkhead. It appears to be attached but it is not.
The rules require permanent attachment, of course!

I thought about going fancy with a carved board but ended up attaching adhesive letters to the hull inside a storage area. They're epoxied over so they can't be removed.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

attached

Post by trapper »

Yeah, I know it is supposed to be attached. My husband and I fuss about that everytime we go out. I am having a carpenter on board in February to do some work and I guess I will have him attach it for me.

We are on a lake and there is no CG presence. DNR may check documentation papers but that is it.
Jim Walsh

Neil has the idea

Post by Jim Walsh »

I did the same thing. I didn't care to make the documentation numbers a focal point so I also used self-stick numbers and brushed clear epoxy over them. I considered placing them on the hull in a sail locker but I ended up with the forward bulkhead in the head. An appropriate place for something required by a federal regulation.
BubbaThePirate

Carved

Post by BubbaThePirate »

How many digits are the USCG Doc #'s? I was thinking of carving them into the companionway trim. I don't know if there is enough room there. Was kind of thinking it would look 'shippy' and all, but maybe I'll have to stew on that a while.

Todd
CD28 #53
[a boat to be named later]
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Eat When You're Hungry
Work When You're Broke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member #1005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Carved

Post by Neil Gordon »

BubbaThePirate wrote:How many digits are the USCG Doc #'s? I was thinking of carving them into the companionway trim. I don't know if there is enough room there. Was kind of thinking it would look 'shippy' and all, but maybe I'll have to stew on that a while.
"The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high ...<<

The documentation number is seven digits, so nine altogether plus a bit more room for the dot.

"... on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area."

For technical correctness, I'm thinking the companionway trim (or any other trim, for that matter) is not a structural part of the hull.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
BubbaThePirate

Thanks!

Post by BubbaThePirate »

Thank you x2. I hadn't found the # of digits for some reason. Also, I missed the 'hull' part of that sentence.

Cheers,
Todd
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Eat When You're Hungry
Work When You're Broke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member #1005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven, although not currently documented, does have her numbers. The PO used stick on letters on the hull inside the cockpit locker and epoxied over them. This is a legal installation that is easily accessible but out of the way. I personally don't think the Doc numbers can add anything to the beauty of our boats.

I would vote for keeping it simple and out of sight, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Documenting the 25D revisited

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I finally received my USCG Certificate of Documentation for S/V Bali Ha'i (No. 1237123). Now, I have to figure out where to permanently install the documentation number, etc.

Any developments/updated projects since the last posts on where and how to install :?:

I will use "stick on" numbers if forced to but I would prefer to install a nice teak board with the numbers carved in and the board permanently affixed to the interior of the hull.

By the way, a big THANK YOU :!: :!: to Trapper. She guided me through the entire documentation process. Could not have done it without her guidance.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:I finally received my USCG Certificate of Documentation for S/V Bali Ha'i (No. 1237123).
You're aware, of course, of the tradition of buying a bottle of single malt for other owners of documented Cape Dory yachts, yes? (Not a bottle for each one; just a bottle kept on board should one of the other owners find himself wandering by your mooring field.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Neil Gordon wrote:You're aware, of course, of the tradition of buying a bottle of single malt for other owners of documented Cape Dory yachts, yes? (Not a bottle for each one; just a bottle kept on board should one of the other owners find himself wandering by your mooring field.)
Captain Neil:

I am at a loss. I have tried diligently to learn the customs, traditions, rules, regulations, etc. of sailing in general, USCG requirements and, of course, Cape Dory etiquette. I have carefully studied the USCG regs, spoken with a retired USCG Admiral (old friend from a world away) and read everything I can on Cape Dory traditions and customs.

Where would I find this "tradition of buying a bottle of single malt for other owners of documented Cape Dory yachts" of which you speak :?:

On the plus side, I have found several references to ample supplies of Guinness being maintained onboard. But no reference to "single malt". Strange, very strange indeed.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097