New message board software coming soon.....

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

New message board software coming soon.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Gang,

If you haven't noticed, we've been using the same version of the message board software (phpBB) since it was installed back in January 2005. We switched from Matt Wright's WWWboard to phpBB due to the old board (WWWboard) becoming to big and cumbersome to manage.

phpBB has been much easier to manage. That said, it's not easy to upgrade. Why? Because when we installed it, way back in 2005, we tried to make it easier for our users who were so accustomed to the old board and resistant to change. We made many customizations to the board's appearance as well as some which effected its functionality. Well, all of those changes (and there were alot) made upgrading the software pretty much impossible (at least for a web staff of volunteers who can only work on this stuff in their spare time). So none of the software upgrade releases have ever been applied -- this includes security updates.

Also, our web site, namely the message board, has come under repeated attack by spambots, phishing bots, etc. We have done what we can, as has our ISP, to keep them in check but sometimes one or two of them manage a successful attack.

So, to make a long story short (a little shorter anyway), it's time for us to do something about our outdated software. We will be sticking with phpBB but we're replacing our current version (2.0.17) with the most current version (3.0.10) which includes all of the security updates that we so desperately need.

It should be noted that we will NOT be applying all of those customized changes that we made back in 2005 but you've been using phpBB long enough now to be comfortable with the more plain vanilla, out-of-the-box version of the board. And before switching to the new software, we'll give you a chance to give it a try. So stay tuned for more info on this upcoming upgrade.

Thanks for your cooperation during the transition,
The Web Team:
Cathy Monaghan
Bob Dugan
Ray Garcia
webmaster@capedory.org
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Ray Garcia

You are going to be very pleased...

Post by Ray Garcia »

Bob D. put forward a great effort to get the new board updated. I was privileged to test out the new board. As always, we look forward to your comments and/or suggestions on how we can improve your experience on the board. We will make our best effort to make those changes if necessary and explain why we cannot make other ones.

From a technical perspective the enhancements are well worth the upgrade as Cathy has mentioned.

Enjoy!

/Ray

PS - In case you were wondering, nothing will be lost, all your current and past posts will be retained.
bobdugan

Here's the link for the new board

Post by bobdugan »

http://www.capedory.org/board3/index.php

In addition to a more secure version of the board, you'll now have the ability (finally) to post images directly to the board instead of indirectly through sites like picassa and photobucket.

For right now the new board link is a place where you can kick the tires and let us know if you see any problems or issues before we make the formal switch over. Anything you post on the new board will be lost when we do the formal switch over from the current board to the new board.

Anything you post on the current board will be copied over to the new board when we do the formal switch over.

Bob
Last edited by bobdugan on Jan 6th, '12, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: You are going to be very pleased...

Post by Neil Gordon »

Ray Garcia wrote:PS - In case you were wondering, nothing will be lost, all your current and past posts will be retained.
Make sure that the message counter doesn't reset everyone back to zero!

:wink:
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
bobdugan

Re: You are going to be very pleased...

Post by bobdugan »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Ray Garcia wrote:PS - In case you were wondering, nothing will be lost, all your current and past posts will be retained.
Make sure that the message counter doesn't reset everyone back to zero!

:wink:
Looks like you're safe.
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

Very nice!!!!!
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Message Count

Post by Oswego John »

Hey Neil,

Wow, I completely forgot about the count. It doesn't seem like a long time ago when you were going for the unheard of two five double zero number of posts.

You're still the undefeated champ of the CDSOA.

Keep chugging along,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
bottomscraper

Bravo Zulu

Post by bottomscraper »

ImageImage
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
bgephart

What?

Post by bgephart »

OK - I give up. What do those flags signify?
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Read the captions above the signals.

BZ, Bravo Zulu.

Literal translation might be AOK, very good, peachy keen, okey dokey, Roger that, yah sehr gut, hell yeah, right on bro. (sis too) ;>)

In Oswego it means job well done. (and it is)

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
MFC
Hull No.128

Re: Here's the link for the new board

Post by MFC »

bobdugan wrote:http://www.capedory.org/board3/index.php
you'll now have the ability (finally) to post images directly to the board instead of indirectly through sites like picassa and photobucket.
Bob
GREAT! That will be a huge an lasting improvement! Nothing like reading an important 5 year old post and the attached photos having been deleted by photobucket or some other 3rd party.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Here's the link for the new board

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

bobdugan wrote:In addition to a more secure version of the board, you'll now have the ability (finally) to post images directly to the board instead of indirectly through sites like picassa and photobucket.
I know you guys worked really hard on this. Like all others who frequent this board, I sincerely thank you for the efforts.

However, I am just in the process of beginning to learn how to post photos to this board using Google Photo or similar. I am "computer challenged" to be polite. My instructor, sadly, is not a blonde college co-ed computer geek student. Instead, I am working with an old salty seadog. :wink:

Now the "photo uploading" process is apparently changing before I even start to learn the old process.

Relying on the anticipated sound advise from Cathy, Bob and Ray, my question is should I wait to learn how to post photos until the new message board is operational :?: These are the questions I lay awake at night thinking about and worrying about. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:Read the captions above the signals.

BZ, Bravo Zulu.

Literal translation might be AOK, very good, peachy keen, okey dokey, Roger that, yah sehr gut, hell yeah, right on bro. (sis too) ;>)

In Oswego it means job well done. (and it is)

O J
It's not a civilian signal. It's straight from the official, United States Navy (and probably our Allies, too) signal book, which is, of course, CONFIDENTIAL.

Shhhhhhhh!!!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
bottomscraper

About Bravo Zulu

Post by bottomscraper »

Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Southern Maine
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Relying on the anticipated sound advise from Cathy, Bob and Ray, my question is should I wait to learn how to post photos until the new message board is operational These are the questions I lay awake at night thinking about and worrying about.
Robert, anything you learn now for the old board will also work with the new board. The new board will give you a new alternative method of posting that you will probably find easier.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Southern Maine