Storage of small amount of diesel fuel

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Larry DeMers
CD30c #283
Lake Superior

Flexible fuel Pump

Post by Larry DeMers »

Steve, certainly the engine fuel pump is pulling a vacuum on the filters in the system. So if one installs the rubber bulb between the filter and the engine, you will be operating the filters in vacuum mode, as designed.

However, the writer actually wrote this: "A outboard squeeze bulb before the filter works much better and has the extra benefit of allowing you to push fuel all the way through the system to bleed it."

It just is unclear as to which end of the system the writer was refering to. Since this stuff is not necessarily intuitive for everyone, clarity seemed a good thing here.

Simply apply all aux. pumps, electric rubber or squirels in a cage) between the filter and the engine.

Cheers,

Larry
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Larry, wouldn't you want an aux pump in line, before the primary filter? That would enable it to push fuel into the filter for bleeding. It would also allow the filter to deal with any debris from the pump or squirrels.

Raven has an electric fuel pump. It comes on with the ignition key and allows you to bleed the system without an aux pump or turning the engine. It is one item that has me thinking about replacement and carrying a spare.

It is interesting to note that it is mounted after the primary filter, Steve.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Small auxillary pumps

Post by Jim Davis »

Location can vary depending on filter location.

If the filter is above the fuel level it helps to have the pump before the filter to simplify drawing fuel from the tank and allows you to have the vent on the filter open. Having this vent open simplifies venting air from the filter after changing the element or bleeding water from the filter.

If the filter is below the fuel level this becomes moot since you can use gravity to refill the filter. Then I agree the pump should be after the filter.

When doing most filter changes refilling isn't a problem, however if you have a problem underway it can present difficulties. Unless you can easily get fuel to the filter the simple process of draining water will be a challenge. Ever notice that filters seldom have problems under benign conditions and there are times that you really want the engine?

In my case the filter(s) are below the tank level, which lets me bleed water without having to pour fuel into the filter. I should add that the last two times I have has water in the fuel can be traced to refueling at the same marina. In both cases it was evident within a few hours of refueling and heavy weather was stirring the contents of the tanks. I also have access plates on the tanks and periodically sample them to remove water from the bottom.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Baja filter

Post by Ken Cave »

Up in Desolation Sound and the Broughtons,there are only a few marinas that supply fuel, and only one is open year round for fuel
that I know of, and that is Lagoon Cove in the Broughtons.

These folks work with the lumber and fishing industry and keep
their tanks clean and full most of the time. They even have two
filters for their diesel, and is the only marina that I trust.

The rest of them, I use a Baja filter which takes out water as well
as the rest of the gunk that you will get.

Why? Most do not fill up their tanks until summer, and they are
sitting idle during the fall and winter. Lots of time for the little critters to grow, and screw up your on board filters!

Hope this helps

Ken Cave
Dragon Tale
LaConner, WA
Larry DeMers
CD30c #283
Lake Superior

Fuel Pump with filter

Post by Larry DeMers »

Steve, my Racor 500 says that the filter media is intended to have suction applied to it, rather than pressure. I suppose it effects how the filter works if the order is messed up.

I installed an electric fuel pump and valving in my engine compartment. With this little setup, I can draw fuel from the tank, through the 1st filter (10u) and return it to the tank via the fuel return line from the engine. Rhis is rated at 60 GPH, but I suspect it is closer to10-15 GPH, due to fuel hose size. I can also use the pump to fill all three fuel filters that I have in series, and bleed the low pressure side of the engine.
Just be sure to draw your fuel through your aux. filters. Install the pump between the aux. filters and the engine's fuel filter (which is meant to have fuel pushed into it's filter media).
Steve Laume wrote:Larry, wouldn't you want an aux pump in line, before the primary filter? That would enable it to push fuel into the filter for bleeding. It would also allow the filter to deal with any debris from the pump or squirrels.

Raven has an electric fuel pump. It comes on with the ignition key and allows you to bleed the system without an aux pump or turning the engine. It is one item that has me thinking about replacement and carrying a spare.

It is interesting to note that it is mounted after the primary filter, Steve.
Larry DeMers
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

diesel

Post by trapper »

Seahunt,

Like others, I keep a standard 2 1/2 gallon of diesel in the starboard cockpit locker. I also keep a large jug of oil there.