Typhoon Outer banks Summer Cruise Video

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob B

Typhoon Outer banks Summer Cruise Video

Post by Bob B »

Here is a trip that my brother and I took from Oriental to Ocracoke that I have put into a better video format than we had before.
Hope you enjoy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BG92O4tvrM

Bob B.
CD Typhoon, Liberty
Lancaster, SC
barfwinkle

great video

Post by barfwinkle »

Out of curisoity just how long of a run was that (one way). My software shows about 50 NM. Is that correct?

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

Thanks. It was fun putting it together.
Yes, it was right at 48 miles one way. We left from Oriental at 1000 and reached Ocracoke at 1900 on the way over with little wind at first (motoring a couple of hours) but freshening to a working jib and full main. On the way back we left at 0630 and had a light breeze so sailed almost all of the way. We arrived at Oriental about 1600 in a strong breeze single reefed main and working jib. Alan at Sailcraft did ask if I knew the water. The sound can get pretty bad. I have another video of about a minute of another trip from Oriental to Ocracoke in a Pacific Seacraft Pilothouse 32. It shows how rough the sound can be.

Bob B.
CD Typhoon Liberty
Lancaster, SC
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

One thing we did do that shortened our trip some was to come in 9 ft slough rather than Big Foot Slough channel. The 9ft channel cut off about an hour of travel and is a good entrance channel. The only thing that is difficult is picking out markers against the background of the island. GPS and binoculars help.
Bob