Hydrostatic PFD for Christmas?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

grluecke

Hydrostatic PFD for Christmas?

Post by grluecke »

Hi, all, I'm wondering about hydrostatic inflatable PFD's...

I've decided I want automatic, and although I have harnesses, I plan to get built-ins on the jackets, it just seems easier...

Does anyone have experience with the REGULAR automatic PFD's deploying in rain, spray, or high humidity? Any problems with the hydrostats NOT deploying correctly?

I'd like opinions on whether the extra $70 for hydrostatic is worth it...
Greg and Jennifer
Oceans' Poem CD30K #245
Cundy's Harbor, ME

We hail out of Portland these days!
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I have the Mustang MD3184 Inflatable PFD with a Hydrostatic Inflator and sailing harness. I have had it a little over three years and like it a lot. I bought from Defender at the 2008 Strictly Sail Miami show on the last day of the show. Got a good price because they did not want to ship back to Defender warehouse.

It is very comfortable, easy to wear, etc. Therefore I wear it a lot, even on warm, muggy Miami days.

Fortunately, I have not yet had to use the HIT system so I cannot tell you about that. It is easy to clean; durable, etc.

My only recommendation to Mustang would be to build in some type of small pocket so that small items could be kept on the PFD - for example, a small emergency serrated pocket knife that could be easily accessed AFTER the PFD is deployed.

All in all a great product.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Hydrostatic PFD for Christmas?

Post by Carter Brey »

grluecke wrote:Hi, all, I'm wondering about hydrostatic inflatable PFD's...

I've decided I want automatic, and although I have harnesses, I plan to get built-ins on the jackets, it just seems easier...

Does anyone have experience with the REGULAR automatic PFD's deploying in rain, spray, or high humidity? Any problems with the hydrostats NOT deploying correctly?

I'd like opinions on whether the extra $70 for hydrostatic is worth it...
I would spend the extra money on a hydrostatic PFD.

I was close-hauled once with the boat heeled at 25 degrees. Among the items that had slipped off the settees down below and were lying on the cabin sole were a spare SOSpenders (non-hydrostatic autoinflating) PFD and a jug of water which spilled its contents. The PFD went off like a bomb and scared the crap out of me. An explosion of unknown origin from below decks and I was at the wheel, singlehanding: not fun.

Take care,
Carter Brey
Sabre 28-II #532 "Delphine"
City Island, NY
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Mustang makes a great product, I've used their stuff for many years and can recommend the brand without reservation. I have the auto/harness version which is quite comfortable and buoyant when tested.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

hydrostatic inflatable PFD's

Post by trapper »

There are pros and cons with the automatic and manual inflatables, with the hareness and without. It depends a lot on the what conditions you usually sail in.

Here in the south on a lake the hareness is in large part unused because it is hot and heavy. So the really expensive offshore automatic does not get used much. The automatics will go off when you get enough water to melt the little pill and it does not take much so if you have a wet ride, you will probably set one off. The manual inflatable also set off accidently, especially the fanny pack. When the crew is moving around on the deck, the trigger often gets stuck in the deck hardware and off it goes.

On my brother's race boat (Choate 27) which generally sails with a crew of 5, he sets off about 10 per year (all of his and mine too). We have pretty much gone to the manual type because they are just a little easier to rearm and you usually know when you have been snagged so it is not a total surprise when it inflates. The automatics are always a shock when they inflate no matter how wet you get.

Oh, yes, they come unarmed. A few months ago, I was sailing with a new sailboat owner who was wearing a nice automatic with hareness. I just happened to look down and noticed his arming window was red. He did not know the jacket was not armed and useless.