cd25 mast replacement(used)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pete faga

cd25 mast replacement(used)

Post by pete faga »

Looking for a USED mast replacement for 25 cd. The Northeaster that devastated the northeast with wind and snow and power outages also uprooted a tree and dented the mast on Grace. The insurance agent at this time may rule the replacement value of the mast is about the same value of the boat.I am pricing out a new stick from Dwyer and rig right.I checked the archives for Salvage Mast web sites(don's in Florida)I hate to part with Grace after 20 years.Any impute of salvage yards or any Advice is welcome.I hope the weather in Fairhope for the members in attandece goes well. fair winds pete
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

Explain "dented". Depending on where the mast has been dented and how severe, you may be able to sleeve it for a whole lot less than buying a new mast. The dent could be cut out, adding a replacement section with sleeves inserted, and riveted in. The mast carries a compression (downward) load and if properly sleeved will be just as strong or stronger.

If the mast was raised, I would also check all the rigging and chainplates from above and below deck.

All the best.
tidalbay

CD 25 mast in pieces

Post by tidalbay »

I have an original 1979 CD25 mast cut into pieces about 3-4 feet long in my garage. The mast was also damaged - so I cut it into pieces and was just going to sell the aluminum for salvage - haven't got around to it yet.

Don't know much about the whole splicing thing - but if you could utilize these smaller sections - let me know. I think I estimated I would get about $25 for the aluminum. If you want to give me that plus pay for the shipping - you can have them. I am located in Florida.

I also have the boom, masthead, spreaders and bases, winch and baseplate (for the mast - not the winch) for the CD25 mast.

Let me know if you need any of these items and we can work out a package deal.

Jon