I think you'll enjoy this video of whales....

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

I think you'll enjoy this video of whales....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

<center><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HVtw94PJ8XA?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></center>

From 10/8/2011: Here's what the videographer had to say about this video: "A whale lunge feeding right next to the Kayak, plus some underwater footage. While the lunge feed was heart pounding excitement, I found that seeing one undewater was relaxing and peaceful. Was an awesome day!!! Some of our underwater photography can be seen at ricksusie.com"
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

What an idiot!

Post by RIKanaka »

What the videographer didn't say was that his activity was disruptive, dangerous, and probably also illegal. I'm ashamed that he flashed the "Shaka" sign at the end of the video; any Hawaiian at heart would know better than to disturb the kohola. Congratulations, pupule. You have posted to youtube video evidence of your violation of the Marine Mammals Protection Act. But hey, to each his own.
Webmaster wrote:Don't forget.....I encourage you to voice your opinions, but no name-calling please!

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Last edited by RIKanaka on Oct 26th, '11, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Bob beat me to it

Post by Joe Myerson »

My first thought was of the two guys who drowned off Provincetown this spring after their canoe was overturned by a whale.

My second thought was of the Marine Mammal Protection Act.

My third thought: That was pretty cool video, but not the smartest thing a guy in a kayak could do.

Am I an old fuddy-duddy? Maybe.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

It was a cool video but the end did not justify the means.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Scott Launey
Naugus Fiberglass Mfg. Located: San Diego

Post by Scott Launey »

As far as I could see the whale seemed not to be bothered at all and may have enjoyed the company. We don't know enough to put our own values on this encounter; I've been there and was awe struck; like it or not.
Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Carl Thunberg

Level B Harassment

Post by Carl Thunberg »

From the Marine Mammal Protection Act 50 CFR 216.3

"Level B Harassment means any act of pursuit, torment, or annoyance which has the potential to disturb a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in the wild by causing disruption of behavioral patterns, including but not limited to, migration, breathing, nursing, breeding, feeding, or sheltering but which does not have the potential to injure a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in the wild"

Incidentally, Level A Harassment does have the potential do injure.

There's no question that there was at least some level of pursuit. Was there a disruption of behavioral patterns? A strict reading of the regulation would say yes, if the whale altered course in any way.

You probably noticed the other boats in the video. All of the other boats appeared to be close enough to observe, but far enough away, so as not to constitute harassment.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>Was there a disruption of behavioral patterns?<<

The law doesn't require actual disruption, just the "potential" for such. I'm thinking you can argue that any "pursuit" of a marine mammal (or any other mammal for that matter) might have the potential to disrupt behavior.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Bruce Dart
Location: Former owner of CD25 Wings O' Morning. Looking for a CD30

There are bigger issues!

Post by Bruce Dart »

My wife and I sail in Southern California waters (on other peoples' boats at the moment, unfortunately) and while we've never chased them as these kayakers did, our encounters with whales over the years are some of our most treasured memories. That said, what the kayakers did was probably foolish. There have been no incidents that I'm aware of involving human injury from Blue Whale encounters, but I do remember an incident a number of years ago in which a breaching California Gray Whale landed on and crushed a drifting fishing boat, resulting in injuries and I believe at least one death.

As to the Marine Mammals Act, which a number of people seem to think should be invoked in this case, I'd take the issue of kayakers possibly annoying blue whales a lot more seriously if it wasn't for the number of these beautiful creatures that are killed outright by collisions with the many ships that ply these waters. There's been an on-going attempt, unsuccessful so far, to move the coastwise traffic zones further offshore and away from the areas whales feed and sleep. The shipping industry is resisting, of course, since the change would increase their distances, and hence their fuel costs. The power of the almighty dollar triumphs again.

It seems to me that almost anything within reason that can be done to help educate people about these magnificent creatures is worthwhile, and the kayakers' clip does that. It's already been posted on a number of nautical blogs and websites, and Katherine is to be thanked for posting it here. I hope it goes viral! Showing a rotting whale carcass that's been cut to pieces by the blades of a huge container ship's prop only makes people turn away. What they should see is the living, breathing animal itself, free and in its own world. If they could feel its magic and majesty, maybe they'd be more inclined to help protect it.
Fair Winds.

Bruce Dart
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

This video brought a few things to mind.

One was underage kids posting pictures of themselves drinking on U Tube. Broadcasting illegal activity on a public form is dumb.

Another was a group of tourists following a bear into the forest when we first got to Yellowstone. When asked if it was a grizzly or a black bear they had been pursuing, they had no idea. That is not so bright an idea either.

In the beginning segments of this guy's video he has his paddle blades reversed. This is such that he is using his paddle upside down. Kind of a pet peeve of mine and shows that he might not be a very experienced paddler. Some newbie, yahoo, out paddling with very large whales doesn't seem like a great idea either.

I think people watch too many nature shows and seem to think that all of the wild animals in the world are very gentle creatures to be hand feed, petted or generally toyed with. Even if these whales are very gentle, they are also huge and could inflict some major damage without even being aware of the fact.

You just shouldn't be messing around with something, either natural or man made that is that much bigger than you and not under your control, Steve.
Andy Denmark

Dangerous

Post by Andy Denmark »

It's not wise to get between a dangerous critter and its natural food source.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=5 ... sp=safe&zw
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
mike ritenour

Close encounters

Post by mike ritenour »

This past summer we sailed LaVida out the St. Lawrence and into the Gulf of St. Lawrence, where we spent a good part of the summer.

On more than one occasion, as we were sailing along, minding our own business we were over hauled by large pods of beluga whales, around us.

We certainly didn't chase the whales and with them spy hopping and intently watching us, we got the feeling they were coming to our boat and were curious about us, so curious that they even allowed one of their babies near LaVida. It was a thrilling experience!

Close encounters by sea mammals are an exhilarating experience and by far the greater number of folks who experience these encounters are not trying to harm the whale or disturb its life.

I agree with the previous poster that more whales are harmed, wounded and killed by ships than any sailboat or kayak.

That particular kayaker didn't show the best judgement but he wasn't harming the whale either.

Just my two cents.

Rit
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Thanks Cathy

Post by Gary M »

You were right!! We did enjoy the video, thanks for posting it.

My wife and I forwarded it on to a few of our friends who all enjoyed it.

Of course we believe the guy was using bad judgement, still using bad judgement is pretty common these days!!

Gary
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Forget about the people and just enjoy the whales!

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Blue whales are pretty much the rarest of all whales, so this is about the only way you may ever see them. Enjoy the whales in the video, forget about the people in it.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
j2sailing

Post by j2sailing »

I agree with Cathy 100%. A lot worse things to get upset about than a guy in a kayak enjoying nature. The whale seems pretty content.
DaveCD28

Post by DaveCD28 »

I'm sure if the whale was the least bit irritated by the kayaker we probably would never have seen this video, or the kayaker again for that matter.