Chesapeake Bay

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

DaveCD28

Chesapeake Bay

Post by DaveCD28 »

Hey folks,

My job might have me transfer to Maryland from Florida for about 6 months or so. I was thinking of sailing my boat up and taking advantage of the time there to sail the Chesapeake Bay.

What are the average slip rental fees around Annapolis, and what are the best marinas if I was going to live on my boat during that time? I have a CD28, and it would be March through October most probably.

Any help or local knowledge would be appreciated. If a yacht club is at one end of a scale, I am typically happy close the other end, but not all the way. I like a simple, friendly marina rather than a yachty wine and crumpets type, but not a floating trailer park full of derelics that can't move under thier own power. (Maybe that is only a Florida thing?)

Thanks,

Dave
Russell

Post by Russell »

Annapolis can be extreamly expensive. Especially if you are looking for a month to month slip rather then a full year. I have paid about $800 a month for a 36' close to downtown.

Fortunately prices drop off very rapidly and steeply as you move away from Annapolis. Check out places like Galesville.

Is the job in annapolis? Or elsewhere in MD? If you let us know where the job will be it would be easier to make suggestions on a close area with decent rates.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Flag Harbor

Post by moctrams »

Give this marina a try. A 30' slip will run you $2350/year.

http://www.flagharbor.com/
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Dave if you are young and single paying premium to be in the vacinity of Annapolis would be my preference if it would work with the logistics of getting to work. It's a great town. I'm thinking it would still be cheaper than an apartment. It's nice to be able to walk to a bar or restaurant. Some of the marinas may have restrictions on live a boards or have a surcharge if they allow it. I might invest in one of those hatch mounted portable AC units even conning from FL it can get pretty hot, still and muggy on the Chesapeake during the summer. Good luck with your search.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
DaveCD28

Post by DaveCD28 »

Thanks for the responses!

Yes, my job will be in Annapolis, but I don't mind keeping my boat outside the city. I'll have a rental car so it's not a big deal. I will look into places outside of Annapolis as well as the link that moctrams posted.

I am in my early 40's and single, so maybe the city might be nice. I'll have to look into it.
Steve D

Chesapeake Bay

Post by Steve D »

Depending on how your boat is equipped and what time of year you will be up there, you could also rent a mooring ball. They rent them by the year and there are many places where you can dink to shore to get to your car. Obviously, power, electrical loads and charging methods will all come into play. I used a Honda generator and had to run it an hour or so a day to keep me and the refrig going.

It was fun and a different way to live. Of course, if you are there in dead of winter, it might not be that fun.

Good luck.
moctrams

Driving time

Post by moctrams »

It is Distance: 46.37 miles — Time: 1:01 hr to Annapolis, MD
from Flag Harbor. My electricity bill is around $12/month. You will soon tire of Annapolis. Too ritzy. Flag Harbor is a great community of friendly boaters.
DaveCD28

Post by DaveCD28 »

Yes, I like a more laid back community to live in.

I just read where Maryland has a 5% tax on a boat's value if it's in thier waters for more than 90 days.

Are there any other taxes or fees that I should know about to keep my boat there for six to eight months? I plan to keep it registered in Florida as I will be sailing it back home when my job is finished.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Sounds like you will be logging a few trips to Del or Va throughout your stay, Steve.
DaveCD28

Post by DaveCD28 »

I hope it's that simple. From what I understood it's 90 days (not necessarily consecutive) or where it spends the majority of the year. Since I plan to live on it during that time while I work in Annapolis, I'll have to look into the travel time from Delaware or Virginia to Annapolis.
DaveCD28

Re: Chesapeake Bay

Post by DaveCD28 »

Hi guys. Well, I'm in Annapolis. I was going to drive down to flag harbor tomorrow( Sat, 2/25) to check it out. Maybe I'll meet a Cape Dory person while I'm there. :)

-Dave

PS: My boat is still in Florida for now.
moctrams

Post by moctrams »

Dave,
Talk to John or Blake when you get to Flag Harbor. We're completely renovating the docks right now with Phase 1. Phase 1 rips out and puts in the new "T" pier.
Bibster

Post by Bibster »

Dave,

You might also check out Ferry Point Marina in Arnold, MD which is just a stone's throw from Annapolis. They aren't the cheapest place around, but it is quiet, they allow liveaboards and the location would be very convenient for you: http://www.ferrypointmarina.com
Dixon Hemphill

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

As Russell wrote Galesville is a good place to consider. I have my boats at the Hartge Yacht Harbor --- a very friendly group of people. It's only 10 miles south of Annapolis. They have a website.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.