Sailing Adventure

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Frank Vernet

Sailing Adventure

Post by Frank Vernet »

Sailing this past Saturday on the Chesapeake Bay got pretty sporty.

A WSW strong breeze of 25 kts gusting to +35kts set up a steep 4-5' chop on an interval of approx. 10-12 seconds. As we were running towards Annapolis, the swells passed under us 1-2 points abaft the port quarter making holding a heading, and the jib filled, quite challenging.

Approx. 1 hr into this we decided to return to the marina. I started the engine, quickly doused the jib and was up on the coach roof wrestling with the main when the engine stalled. Quickly back to the cockpit, gear handle to neutral, start the engine, gear handle down and...immediate stall. Did this 3 times when I realized that the prop was fouled - the starboard jib sheet had fallen overboard and you can guess the rest.

So now we had no engine, could not deploy the jib to maneuver, and could not raise the main due to the wind pressure. Fortunately we had 25' under the keel and 3-4 miles from the lee shore. Therefore not in extremis.

I considered cutting away the fouled jib sheet and and rigging a new one had we needed to claw away from the lee shore but we were able to somewhat steer under essentially bare poles.

After ensuring that we could "aviate and navigate" (old flight school training) I "communicated" and contacted the BoatUS Tow guy. By the time he arrived approx. 90 minutes later, we had drifted 3 nm, land was much closer and the fathometer read 15' at which point I had dropped the hook - a 16lb Fortress, 50' of 3/8" chain and 75' of line. It held beautifully but the ride at anchor was something else.

The tow back to the marina took about 2hrs during which I had the chance to see just how watertight Sirius is nowadays. I did find a couple of places where water was getting in.

Back in the marina now placed at the C Dock T-Head in lieu of her normal slip. The wind was just too strong for him to maneuver us into the slip. Went for a swim Sunday morning and unwound the jib sheet from the prop and discovered that it had also brought a crabpot line into play. No damage to anything that I could see.

So, all's well that ends well but a really good lesson. In strong weather things can change quickly and it is essential to play different scenarios, "What ifs?" in your mind as you go along. We were never in any danger and the quality of our CDs was readily apparent - "It just felt strong and sturdy" (my sailing partner's words) who told me after the fact that he was actually quite concerned.
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

anchor

Post by moctrams »

Any chance you could have just anchored and solved the problem(s)?
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>... and could not raise the main due to the wind pressure. <<

Just curious if you tried and failed or just concluded the main wasn't going up.

I've not done it in wind that big, but single handing and raising the main (without the auto pilot) it's common for the bow to blow off such that the slugs won't budge in the track. On the other hand, the same pressure causes the boat to round up and the main to luff.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Frank Vernet

Re: anchor

Post by Frank Vernet »

moctrams wrote:Any chance you could have just anchored and solved the problem(s)?
I considered that briefly, very briefly. The way we were pitching in the chop made it far too dangerous to be in the water anywhere near the stern.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

bow

Post by moctrams »

Did you mean the "bow"?
Frank Vernet

Post by Frank Vernet »

Neil Gordon wrote:>>... and could not raise the main due to the wind pressure. <<

Just curious if you tried and failed or just concluded the main wasn't going up.
That's a good question Neil and now that I think about it, it might have been possible to raise the main once we set the anchor and she swung into the wind. Otherwise I seriously doubt it was going up.
Frank Vernet

Re: bow

Post by Frank Vernet »

moctrams wrote:Did you mean the "bow"?
Either end was hazardous but I needed to go under the stern to unfoul the prop.
mike ritenour

fouled prop

Post by mike ritenour »

Since LaVida's voyages are many times remote, long ago I began to carry a thin wetsuit, couple of weights and a mask onboard.

Served us well when we entered Kingston YC this summer and picked up a rope in our prop.

Fortunately a quick dive overboard solved the problem.

Rit
Last edited by mike ritenour on Oct 18th, '11, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
gates_cliff

Re: bow

Post by gates_cliff »

Frank Vernet wrote:
moctrams wrote:Did you mean the "bow"?
Either end was hazardous but I needed to go under the stern to unfoul the prop.
Years ago, on another boat, had a similar problem but not nearly as difficult conditions. Hooked a crab pot in Herring Bay, it was warm weather and had light conditions, oh and I was much younger! Anyway, I thought I'd try to go in the water and try and unfoul the prop. I mean we had very gentle wind and waves. Well, let me tell you I nearly got knocked out, maybe with weights that would keep me below the hull, as mentioned in another post, but on this day, it was extemely difficult and ultimately fruitless.
jerryaxler

fouled prop

Post by jerryaxler »

Don't assume everything is alright. A few years back we picked up a floating long line off Nantucket, dove on it, removed it and continued into Nantucket without incident. The next day on our way out of the harbor we lost the prop and had to sail back into Nantucket. It seems the cotter pin on the lock nut sheared off allowing the lock nut to spin off followed by the prop nut and prop.
A closer inspection of the nuts, shaft , cutlass bearing and transmission is definitely warranted.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Frank Vernet

Re: fouled prop

Post by Frank Vernet »

jerryaxler wrote:A closer inspection of the nuts, shaft , cutlass bearing and transmission is definitely warranted.
Good advice - even though I saw nothing out of the ordinary when I unfouled the prop, I'll have a closer look before going out again.

While I am not looking forward to more Fall Chesapeake Bay swimming - better safe than sorry :)
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Frank... just read your "prop fouling adventure". It also happened to me on Bandolera. I did go in the water, but here in Florida, it is nice and warm, the weather was super nice and it was not a big deal... BUT guess what? At that time, I still had the old bronze prop shaft. It got BENT by the lobster pot line that I tangled with. I was able to cut it out and motor back with no problem for a while, but two months later, it was time to haul out, which I did, and saw the bend in the shaft. Needless to say, I ditched that one and got a new SS made which I still have. Make sure your shaft is still in good shape, otherwise, the misalingment will eventually screw up your transmission! :!:
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Ben Coombs
King's Point, West Bath, ME

try reverse

Post by Ben Coombs »

we had a fouled jib sheet long ago on my dad's pearson 28. I pulled on the offending sheet while my dad put it in reverse ever so gently. it came off and we were back on track.... unlikely to work every time, but always worth a try!
Ben Coombs
Bob Ohler

Frank the water temp is about 68 degrees...

Post by Bob Ohler »

"You know about shrinkage, right?"

LOL
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Frank Vernet

Post by Frank Vernet »

Never personally experienced it :D