25d traveler conversion

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

frankfurder

25d traveler conversion

Post by frankfurder »

Anybody converted the standard mainsheet to a usable traveler system with the stock 1" track?
I cant find anyone with the hardware to fit the 1" track except for turning blocks designed for the headsail track.
Zelda's traveler conversion on her 33 looks very nice but the hardware doesnt seem to be available for the 1" tracks?

I think I can modify the factory traveler car to add a turning block with becket, but cant find any double cheek blocks w/jam cleat mounted on a 1" track.

I really dont want to replace the track.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Did you check with Garhauer?

Post by Duncan »

Garhauer (Link) has a great reputation for service and value, from what I have heard.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I bought secondhand Harken end blocks, did a little filing to them to get them to fit the tracks. For the car I found some sheeves that fit the existing car using longer bolts.The only problem I am having is that I need to put a thin plate between the sheeves to keep the line from tangling when I move the car quickly and don't keep tension on the lazy side.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

1" Track

Post by tjr818 »

Frankfurder,
Is this what you have now? I can add two shackles to my "car", but I am still trying to find control blocks that will fit. If I find any I will let you know.

[img]http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... G_0827.jpg[/img]
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

I replaced the old thumb screw version with a Harken small boat kit. Do not get the low profile track as it interferes a bit with the teak trim. The holes lined up perfectly. Securing the nuts below was a PITA. The old version had the traveler slider permanently attached to the main block. So I did upgrade the block while I was at it. This video does show the install somewhat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPCkoFb8qWE
frankfurder

Post by frankfurder »

Tim;

Yes, the cofiguration in your pic is what I have, except the mainsheet control block is not removable from the car, as your appears to be.

If you find any control end blocks that fit the 1" track please let me know! Thanks.
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

The whole world is waiting!

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

If you solve this problem there will be many who will be interested in how you did it. I struggled with the original system for some years and then bought Harken equipment from Rigging Only. Cost about $500. But it was for a functional system as opposed to a totally non-functional one. Wish I had had a simpler, cheaper solution.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)