Bandolera II Needs a NEW Mainsail

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Bandolera II Needs a NEW Mainsail

Post by Zeida »

The old mainsail on Bando (CD33) is as old as the boat herself and quite brittle by now. It is being patched up (once more) as we speak, but hopefully before the end of the year I may finally get the $ for a new main.

Any recommendations or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanx.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Bill Goldsmith

I had great success with Mack

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

I had Mack Sails build a main and an roller genoa for me on my prior boat Second Chance (CD27). It was a great experience even though I had to measure myself and install (I am in NY, they are in Fla). I was afraid I was going to have to ship them back and forth a few times, but they were perfect right out of the box. And they are close to you, so you could work with them directly. Maybe a little more $$ than a loft that farms out the work to China, but well worth it.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I have had good service from national sail not far from you in Fl. I worked with 'Dirk' and he was experienced, attentive and easily accessible. The sails are good quality and he provided a few custom details I desired. The cost was very reasonable in comparison. The sails are produced overseas but the cost, quality and service were excellent. Delivery took about a month.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Thanks for the input. I will be calling them Monday to get a quote from them. I am trying to read and learn as much as I can about the new fabric for sails, users' comments, etc. before I start spending the $. They do have a very good reputation down here. Thanks again.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
sfreihofer

Bandolera !! Mainsail

Post by sfreihofer »

Hi Zeida;

Maybe your finances aren't as restricted as mine, but since I needed two new sails and was put off by the costs, I opted to build my own with kits from Sailrite. It's not easy, but their kits make it about as straightforward and simple as it can be, at about half the cost.

If you might consider this option, I have a Sailrite LZ1 (straight or zigzag stitch) machine that is available for you to use. It's a very capable machine. Although my experience is limited, I have built two sails (Main and Genoa) and I am willing to help. Each sail took me about a week to construct. If space is a problem, you can use my shop, although it was small (10' x 8' table) for my CD 25 sails, but it can be done. The frequent readjustment slows you down, that's all.

Consider the option. You have a friend here who is willing and has equipment to help, if you want to go that route. You can come by and see the Sailrite sails I built, if you want. There are some photos at http://www.reefroof.com/loft.htm.

Stan
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Stan... thanks a million for your super generous offer. I don't know A THING about sewing or sewing machines... my mainsail is humongous and looks like a monster challenge to build.... B U T... if you would consider, at least, taking the time to figure out what, how, when, I could get the measurements as per instructions, we can talk about what it would take to make this sail, and I would do my best to help, because I know I would not know even how to begin. I would purchase all the material needed, of course, and you could make some Boat $$$.

If this sounds like possible for you, I'll call you soon. In the meantime, my current sail is being patched up AND I can still use it, so making the new one is not an absolute hurry, but I would like to have it for the upcoming winter season. Again, thanks, my friend. See you soon.
z :)
Zeida
CDSOA Member
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Hi Zeida;

If your sail is humongous, my shop is probably too small. It was a challenge building the sails for Pearl. I am, by no means, a sailmaker and wouldn't feel comfortable accepting money for my limited abilities. For me it was a matter of necessity and limited means.

Sailrite has most CD sail dimensions in their database. You can ask them for a quote. The "do it yourself" option may not be practical for you, but if so, you are welcome to take advantage of my equipment, my shop, and my limited experience.

I appreciate all of the support and encouragement you have given me, and would be happy to show my gratitude. If I can help you in any way, let me know.

Stan
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Jim Evans

Try Lee Sails

Post by Jim Evans »

Hi Zeida,

I went through a mainsail replacement for my CD33 a year ago. I was very happy with the mainsail that Lee Sails made for my Typhoon several years ago, so I tried them for my CD33. Again, I'm very happy with the sail they built for me. Their distributor is on Long Island, and the sails are built in Hong Kong. More info at http://www.leesailsne.com/.

I understand Lee Sails was the original sailmaker for many new CD's years ago.

Anyway, I'm sending you a PM with the details of my CD33 experience.
Jim Evans
mike ritenour

Sailcare Ford City, PA

Post by mike ritenour »

I have had my 1981 main redone twice in the last twenty years by these folks and it looks and performs like brand new.
I got ribbed by my dock mates for spending the thousands on a new main, when in fact I didn't!
The cost was only a few hundred dollars and their work is awesome and the folks there really care about the product and the customer.
Rit

http://www.sailcare.com/
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Stan..... again thanks for your offer, but I know your shop would make things a "bit" difficult because the size of the main. It is big and a bit complex, with two sets of reefing points and full length battens. And I would not know even how to begin to do such a specialized thing myself. I'm anxious to see S/V Pearl. How is she coming?

Jim... I do know Lee Sails. Indeed they made the original sails on my first CD25, main and jib, and then I ordered a genoa from them, which turned out wonderful. That's when I lived in NYC, and sailed my CD on the Long Island Sound. I am not really a DIY when it comes to sails, so one of those "kits" would not do me any good. But the quote you sent me for the CD33 kit was perfect, because I showed it to the Doyle Sailmaker down here in Miami, and his price for a brand new main, to match my old one- which he just patched up- is $1,823. So it makes my decision easier. That is using the Challenge HA 7.6 Dacron fabric, which I did read about and sounds good to me. He would also bring it to the boat, and put it up, which is a challenge in itself, at least, for me. However, I will have to wait at least until the beginning of next year and see if the economy improves some before I can spend that kind of money.

Rit... my 1981 sail, like yours, still looks good to me, especially now, that has been patched up where needed and some of the old stitches replaced. For sure, it still moves my boat, along with the big genny on the roller furler, which was also restitched in a couple of places. To do both sails, pick them up and bring them back and install them, he charged me $262.80. Not bad. And the guy is super nice, plus he is 6'4" and manhandles those sails like I've never seen before. So as soon as I can get the $ together, I will have him do the new sail.
In the meantime, Bando keeps on sailing with her old clothes. :D
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Hummel

New Main Sail

Post by Hummel »

Just ordered and very happy with main sail done by SuperSailmakers in Fort Lauderdale. Placed the order through Sail Care in PA Had the main fitted with the Dutchman system. Excellent work No complaints

Jim
Jim
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Thanks for the tip. Will be checking out SuperSailmakers in Ft. Lauderdale today!
Zeida
CDSOA Member