Advice on removing genoa

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Advice on removing genoa

Post by RIKanaka »

Any good tips for removing a furling genoa in moderate winds? Yesterday I tried to decrease the windage on my CD26 in preparation for Irene by removing all the canvas but in the 25knot gusts I gave up on the genoa after getting face-whipped a few times by the clew/sheets. I tried rolling up the leech as I unfurled it but the mid and upper parts of the leech were more difficult to roll-up adequately and kept catching a lot of wind. I'm gonna try again this afternoon and am hoping the wind won't be as brisk, but I'm sure it will only get worse as the storm gets nearer so I figure it's now or never.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Not in 25 knots, but I've tamed the clew as best I can by leading a sheet inboard of the shrouds and back to a winch. With the Genoa unfurled, the foot of the sail is inboard and as the sail comes down, it's easier to gather from the bottom. (Note: you'll get whipped half as much if you remove on sheet before you start.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Just did it

Post by Joe Myerson »

I just finished stripping Creme Brulee in anticipation of Irene's arrival.

I removed both sheets from the genny before letting it down--in 25 knot winds, no less. While I didn't get face-whipped, I think if I had to do it over again, I'd follow Neil's suggestion and remove one sheet, while threading the other inside the shrouds.

Yikes!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Steve Laume

Thank you Neil

Post by Steve Laume »

While Raven only has a yankee jib I still used your method today. My sheets are fastened with a larks head so I left them both on. I pulled them out of the fair leads and ran them straight to the cockpit winch. This lead them right next to the mast once the jib was unfurled. There was a bit of sailing around on the mooring before I dropped the jib but it went very well and the sheets held it in the center of the boat.

Every other time I have dropped the jib the sheets have gotten wet. This time things came down dry and under control. I think I will probably put it back up the same way in a few days.

I told another guy in the marina about your method and he commented that you could probably fold it right up as you went if you had two people. I only had me so I dropped everything, bundled it up with sail ties and stuffed it down below.

The nicest part is that it was all dry, Steve.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Thank you Neil

Post by Duncan »

Steve Laume wrote:...I told another guy in the marina about your method and he commented that you could probably fold it right up as you went if you had two people. I only had me so I dropped everything, bundled it up with sail ties and stuffed it down below.
I've flaked it (roughly) that way, singlehanded.

If you have hank-on sails, and you're underway, it's a great way to change down from the genoa to a smaller jib.
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Thanks

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I was wondering how to get the Genny down and faced this problem this PM in the 20-25knt winds working alone. I gave it a pass but hope to return tomorrow and use the methods described in this thread if the wind is still up - todays wind in Buzzards Bay and environs is not due to Irene. So we might get a break. A tip from my boat yard today was to tie a line from the mooring line to the mast so there would be an attachment to the mooring pennant if the anchor cleat separated from the boat.

I have everything of any substantive value off the boat (out board tiller pilot, etc) and everything that enhances windage (main, dodger, etc.) off or stowed below. So far I have elected to not be hauled.

I don't think I can do it this time with a 25D, but in BoB in 91 when I owned a Typhoon I cast the mast overboard in about 6 feet of water and retrieved it later. This cut out a great deal of windage (think of your arm out of the car window at 60mph - now imagine that your arm is 30 feet long - well you get the idea).

Thanks for the tips, guys.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Thank you, all.

Post by RIKanaka »

Neil, Steve, Joe and Duncan,

Thanks for the advice and trial experience. I didn't go out yesterday to drop the genoa because the NOAA wind data showed conditions as blustery as the day before. The weather forecast for today was for lighter winds so I was able to get someone to cover me at work and I was able to get the genoa down with no problems. I did winch the sheets which kept them from blowing around and into the water. Since my topping lift is a little ratty and the not-quite-mid-boom traveler results in a fair amount of end-boom swing, even when tightly cleated, I pulled down and stowed the boom, too.

Dick, I hope you were able to get out today to pull your sail. Conditions were much more favorable out there today, at least around here. You wouldn't think there was a hurricane/TS on the way.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Not-quite-mid-boom traveler

Post by Joe Myerson »

Bob,

I've also got a mid-boom traveler.

I locked it on the centerline and cranked the mainsheet as tight as it would go. Hope it's enough, although I could maybe take the boom off tomorrow.

Visiting the Buzzards Bay area tomorrow to help secure my aging parents' house and make sure they have batteries and food. The area is still under a hurricane watch. Their house is not near the water, but the boat is, of course, in the water.

I'm trying to decide if it would do any good for me to ride out the storm at their place.

The storm-surge risk in southern New England is supposed to be highest in upper Buzzards Bay and upper Narragansett Bay. Hope everything will hold.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627