Portland Pudgy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Doug Oliver
Bucks Harbor, Maine

Portland Pudgy

Post by Doug Oliver »

It took me 5 years of mulling it over but I finally bit the bullet and bought a Portland Pudgy. Now my 2.5 Yamaha regular shaft outboard won't work. I dug my old Motorguide electric motor out of the basement and tried it today. I love how quiet it is but it struggles going in to the wind. I'm thinking about the Honda 2hp longshaft as probably a good option but I'm wondering if anyone has had good success using an electric motor on their dinghy. My electric motor is, I think, a 35 lbs of thrust model. Maybe I need a more powerful motor if I go electric. Any thoughts?
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Doug, I don't have any experience with electric outboards but would really like to hear how you like the Pudgy. Especially would like to know how the stability compares with a RIB if you have had one. Did you get the sailing kit?

There was a boat anchored near my mooring Saturday night with a yellow Pudgy. I was hoping to stop by and ask about their experience with Portland Pudgy but the were gone by the time i got back from church.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Doug Oliver
Bucks Harbor, Maine

Post by Doug Oliver »

Joe, I haven't owned an RIB or even been in one that wasn't tied to the dinghy dock so I can't compare. I have been using a Dyer Dhow for several years and, of course, the pudgy is way more stable then the Dyer. The pudgy reviews all say that it rows like a dream....It rows OK. I don't have the sail kit yet but when finances allow I plan on getting it.

After I have spend some more time in the pudgy I'll let you know what I think. If you're cruising brings you up near Eggemoggin Reach and Buck's Harbor you are welcome to come play with it.
David L

Honda 2hp outboard

Post by David L »

Doug:

Stay away from the Honda outboard. While it functions it does a good job. The problem is Honda's choice of materials: mild steel !!!

My motor recently started spewing engine oil from the top end. Turns out that the valve cover had rusted through. So, too, had the carburetor bowl. So, too, had the inside of the gas cap. I was going to do the work myself until I discovered that the heads of many of the bolts had rusted into non-hex shapes.

So ... do I spend a few hundred bucks to have a $900 motor repaired, or do I throw it into the dumpster? (Rhetorical!)

I tried to talk to Honda Marine about this but they made it impossible and have been completely non-responsive.

I'll be posting about this soon, with pictures.

Good luck with the electric approach.

Regards,
David
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

pudgy

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

We have had our pudgy for a little over two years now. It does row good. It also tracks behind my sailboat good. I recently made a 10 day singlehanded crossing of the Gulf of Mexico where I towed the pudgy. I found it better to keep the pudgy close to the boat riding on the slick created by the boat. We have also over loaded it and it still remains stable. I just wish it would fit on the deck of our CD31.
Dave, we have the Honda 2hp but I see what you mean about mild steal. Are other outboards any better? Thanks for the heads up, I will make sure I hose it off good. Call me before you pitch it in a dumpster!!
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Anyone who is going to the CDSOA national meeting in Alabama and wants to try the pudgy for themself is welcome to use mine.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us