stubbing the toes

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

captzigzag

stubbing the toes

Post by captzigzag »

I'm new to sailboating and have heard two schools of thought on wearing shoes when going forward.

A captain friend with extensive experence, while we were sailing said to never go forward with shoes on. Now if it's cold you have to wear shoes. He said you're more likely to trip in shoes and you're more careful about where you step without shoes.

Just received my copy of Ensign and to quote a paragraph. On deck, always wear shoes with non-skid, non marking soles. In bare feet, you are much more likely to stub you toe or slip on a wet deck.

It seems to me if you stub your toe barefoot there would be less chance of going overboard than stubbing with shoes on.

What's your sexual intectual opinion on this silly debate?
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: stubbing the toes

Post by Joe Myerson »

captzigzag wrote: What's your sexual intectual opinion on this silly debate?
I'm not sure what's sexual or intellectual ("intectual?") about this, but here's my personal take on this discussion:

Bare feet are slippery, and you just don't want to be in a slippery situation when you're sailing. Two days ago, in fact, I went swimming off the stern of my boat, and while climbing back aboard, my wet feet slipped, and I nearly fell overboard. I caught myself, but did get a black-and-blue toe.

For several years I was using Keen sandals, which have good non-slip soles, and a protective toe cap. Now I'm using Sperry deck shoes. In any case, I try never to sail barefoot: I've stubbed too many toes, although I have not yet fallen overboard.

Just my take on the subject.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
captzigzag

shoes

Post by captzigzag »

Having been up in the air over this one I agree with you. In bare feet it is very slippery when wet. In all seriousness shoes could very well be the difference in saving my life.

The fellow who told me to go barefoot was very adamant on the subject. Didn't make sense to me either.
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

I use my hands to stay upright and on the boat. My feet may support my weight and help me move around but I don't trust them to do much else. On the other hand, I rap my knuckles, bruise my arms, and bang my elbows, but I find that I do less damage to my toes and have less pain in my soles if I keep some kind of footwear on.
camroll

Post by camroll »

I work at a marina and am on many different boats. Many people ask me to take my shoes off before getting on their boat. Unfortunately I have stubbed my toes too many times on an unfamiliar boat to accede to this request. ( please remember this next time the yard guys climb on your boat) On my own boat however, I much prefer to be barefoot. My two cents.
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

The rule (only somewhat enforced) on my boat is people wear shoes. If someone gets bent out of shape about wanting to be barefoot then they are welcome to take their toes into their own hands. There are too many things to stub toes on, and since my initial reaction is to pick my foot off the ground, grab it with both hands, jump on my good foot, and yell swear words until I feel better, I think I'll stick with shoes. I find it hard to stay aboard the boat when I'm performing my healing ritual.
azucha

+1 Shoes -- Always

Post by azucha »

Yeah, I've just stubbed my toes to the point of bleeding too many times to not wear shoes -- on deck and down below.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Foot safe design is very important to my thinking...

Post by sgbernd »

One of my criteria for purchasing a boat was that it had to be free of toe stubbers and sharp poking things at foot level. I actually took off my shoes and walked the decks to verify there was nothing dangerous to feet before I chose which boat to buy. Even if you prefer shoes underway, a lot of time is spent at anchor, lounging, swimming, getting out of dingys or water toys, getting up at night to check the anchor rode, using the upstairs head, etc. where you will be barefoot. I recommend looking for problems and moving or modifying them best you can or buying a boat with toe safe decks to begin with.

I learnt from painful (and bloody) experience on my previous boat just how important a foot friendly deck is. My Cape Dory 28 it is very easy on bare feet and have yet to leave blood stains. In fact, of all the boats I tested from this era and size, it was one of the best.
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

Shoes!
Bill Goldsmith

My rule of thumb (rule of toe?)

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

My rule is if it is a lazy, light air day people can go barefoot. If there is any heeling beyond a few degrees, the likelihood of gusts or an impending storm, then the shoes come on, preferably closed toe.

On a slightly related topic, I take a lot of non-sailors and guests out sailing. It's great to introduce people to it, but even when you tell them to wear "boat shoes or sneakers" they inevitably show up with black-soled sneakers. Seems that no one makes everyday sneakers with white, non-marking soles any more. And most people don't own boat shoes.
Brian2

Marina shoes

Post by Brian2 »

If you work at a marina, you should have two pairs of shoes. One pair for dry land, and one to change into to wear onto boats out of respect for the owners.

I keep a pair of boat shoes under the dodger, and leave my land shoes in the dinghy, and change into boat shoes in the cockpit before going below/too far. No open toed sandals or barefeet suggested on my CD28.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I am never necked on my boat because I allways have shoes on.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

This would be a great topic for winter. Yet it may be rendered more factual and less theoretical with the actual pain of a proper toe smack still in progress. I much prefer bare feet at almost all times aboard, even in cold, stormy Lake Superior weather. I even feel the pain is somehow proudly deserved the times I whack my toe onboard. Funny, when I stub my toe ashore I simply feel stupid.

I do not believe it is the safest however and there have been times on the foredeck I have cussed myself out for rushing forward without thinking about wearing shoes.

Much of my preference for bare feet comes from a lifetime outdoors and working in camp situations where I had to wear shoes or sport sandals at all times as I was making all my staff do the same. (Teenagers will need clinic visits otherwise!) However, when I could get to my boat, bare feet were suddenly in vogue and even preferred. Plus it just damn felt right to me.

Having said that I think there are times a sailor should use a good pair of shoes, like serious windward work in a seaway, and times to enjoy the great human right to go barefoot while we still can and preserve one's soul by going soleless.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

STUBBING THE TOES

Post by Oswego John »

I was down to Sodus, NY, this morning working on our schooner. We are installing new wooden decking on top of the welded steel decks. One of the major reasons why we are covering the decks with wood is because steel decks, when wet, are very slippery.

I happened to mention that stubbing toes is a current topic on the CD forum. One of the wizened old volunteers replied that recently one of the seamen on the schooner Pride Of Baltimore lost his toe after a bad toe stubbing accident.

It was also mentioned that less than 9% of sailing accidents were aloft and inside. 90+ of injuries were on the deck. (I don't know if this is scuttlebutt or the real thing.) Whatever.

Our schooner doesn't allow anyone, worker or guest, to come aboard unless he is wearing some kind of non slip, regular type of shoe for protection. No flip flops, no gummy or jelly shoes, no leather soles and no bare feet. For good reason, I guess. Captain's orders. So be it.

O J

Each one of those elevator weights weighs 50 pounds. Working out with them each week, my arm muscles are getting like Li'l Abner's.

The joints in the planks will be veined with a router and caulk, unspecified as of yet, will be laid in the joints.

Sitting down on the job again.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

wood

Post by moctrams »

What kind of wood? White oak?