dumb question- stepping mast on Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John383

dumb question- stepping mast on Typhoon

Post by John383 »

Hi folks, prosaic question but I've never stepped my own mast on my CD Typhoon-- it does NOT have a tabernacle. Am I best off stepping it before trailer launch, or after? Any suggestions for method/ pearls for how to do this? Thanks! John W.
John Wiecha, Portland, ME
Ty Weekender and CD 330
John383

2006 posts

Post by John383 »

Do y'all think this is the best method (from earlier posts): attach side stays, and rear stay...then have 2 people involved- one in cockpit, walks the mast up, and other person stands in front of the boat on the group pulling up the mast using the jib halyard? Can you make the side stays loose enough for this technique, while still being attached? Thx
John Wiecha, Portland, ME
Ty Weekender and CD 330
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Stepping The Mast

Post by Oswego John »

John383 wrote:Hi folks, prosaic question but I've never stepped my own mast on my CD Typhoon-- it does NOT have a tabernacle. Am I best off stepping it before trailer launch, or after? Any suggestions for method/ pearls for how to do this? Thanks! John W.
Hi John,

I prefer to step the mast on my Ty W/E before I launch it while it is still on the trailerand then roll the trailer down the ramp.. When it is on the trailer, the hull is seated solidly and doesn't rock side to side or porpoise bow and stern.

However, you must make the decision based on what mast raising equipment is available. Do you plan to step the mast by yourself, as you mention, or have the boatyard do the job. $$$

A word of caution. I have seen owners launch their boats and move the hull in the vicinity of an "L" shaped hoist. In most cases, the stepped mast is taller than the "L" crane. After the mast is seated while the rigging is being attached, the worker(s) on board cause the hull to rock from side to side and slam the mast into the crane's steel I-bar, putting a nasty dent or two into the upper portion of the aluminum mast.
John383 wrote:Do y'all think this is the best method (from earlier posts): attach side stays, and rear stay...then have 2 people involved- one in cockpit, walks the mast up, and other person stands in front of the boat on the group pulling up the mast using the jib halyard? Can you make the side stays loose enough for this technique, while still being attached? Thx
That method is okay to use with a tabernacle

You haven't mentioned the year of manufacture or the hull number of your Ty or whether it is open or has a cuddy cabin.

Lets talk about the most common variety, the Ty Weekender with a cabin. You say that you don't have a tabernacle. Can I safely assume that your mast is keel stepped?

With a keel based mast, the mast butt has to be raised a little higher that the cabin roof so that the mast can be dropped down through the hole in the roof.

To raise the mast this high, it precludes the thought of attaching the stern stay and the shrouds before stepping begins. Many owners substitute pieces of line to the ends of the rigging to extend their lengths to act as temporary supports to prevent toppling of the mast

If you plan to step your mast by yourself and friends, it would be helpful for you to search the archives and become familiar with two and three legged gin poles.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I attach extra line to my jib halyard, and tie it off at the bow. Shrouds are left adjusted as normal. Backstay is loose but attached, (I have an adjustable backstay anyways). I lift the mast into place while taking up slack on the halyard. I usually do it in the water.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us