Bilge Pump for a CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Bilge Pump for a CD27

Post by Shipscarver »

Currently my only bilge pump is the whaler (manual) in the cockpit. I would like to a install a battery powered pump for those times I am away. Access to the bilge is slight on the 27. What size pump is most effective/efficient considering space available and that it will be connected to the 12 Volt system?? What collateral material/parts will I need to do the job, wiring it directly to the battery?
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
J D

Post by J D »

No one else is taking this on for you so I will offer my meager information.

I added an automatic 12V pump on my 27 prior to my retirement so that it was at a time when I had a little more money then time, so I had the boat yard do it. They installed it on a board that is easily pulled from the bilge sump. It has its own discharge hose and through hull at the transom on the opposite side from the manual pump. The power was taken before the electrical panel so it is always hot. It has a three way switch with auto, off, and run selections and also has a fuse attached. It is located on the ledge of the headliner below and foreword of the electrical panel. I have been well pleased with their installation.

When ever I add water to the tank under the V berth I send water to the bilge through the cover in the head area. it keeps the bilge fresh and I get to check the pump out to make sure it’s working OK.
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Post by Shipscarver »

I appreciate you reply. I bought an Attwood kit, and after getting it to the boat realized it has 6 ft of little white plastic hose, requires an add on switch, and has little plastic things for through hulls.
Then I bought a new house battery, a 500 gal Attwood Automatic, which needs black and white wire, hose, S/S clamps and through hull, a fuse, a switch,and ties.
It may have been cheeper to have a marina do it. :roll:
But, the pump instructions say it will actually lift 200 Gal. 6.7 ft. Will that do the job running the hose over the engine compartment, down the cockpit in the locker opposite the Gusher, and out the transom?
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf