CD25 Outboard Issue

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tomahawk1977

CD25 Outboard Issue

Post by tomahawk1977 »

Hi All,

I know there is a wealth of information on this topic in previous posts but I did not see any info on the newer model Yamaha 4 stroke engines.

I just completed a total restoration on my 1974 CD25 and its time for a re-power. I want to purchase a brand new outboard from a dealer locally that provides service as well. I see the Tohatsu/ Nissan OB's are the most popular but there is not a reputable dealer in my area. I would like to put a 2010 Yamaha 8hp 4 stroke on the back but am skeptical that it will fit after reading previous posts. I didn't see much on new Yamahas on the CD25. Does anyone have any experience with this size, stroke and year? I do not want to cut the well but am fine with altering the hatch and motor mount.

The 6hp is the other option but the currents in my area are very strong and guaranteed power when needed is necessary in the busy waterways here in NYC.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Darren
joelcunningham
Keyport, NJ

yamaha

Post by joelcunningham »

No direct experience with the 4 cycle. I have a 2005 Yamaha 8 hp 2 cycle on my '81. It goes in OK, but no room to pivot for steering. I know the 4 cycles are bigger, so it sounds like a very tight fit. The Tohatsus look like the easiest to fit. I wouldn't worry too much about reputable dealers. A new motor should give you years of service with little maintenance. Just find a reputable shop. I know I have never taken a new car to a dealer for service.
tartansailor

Repowering a CD 25

Post by tartansailor »

I got rid of my Honda 8 hp because:
At 84 lbs. it was too heavy for me to lift
and
the extra weight in the stern adversely affected my speed.
I am now using a 2 hp 2 stroke with a 7 X 4" pitch which am very happy with.

The key to remember is thrust!
My old Honda had an 8&1/2 pitch which gave hull speed at considerably less than half throttle, but was lugging like crazy.
Could not find a 6" pitch for that motor.

The recommendation is to stick with conventional wisdom and get a 6hp with a 6" pitch max!!! and the extra long 25" shaft.

Dick
Jdpmus

outboard choice

Post by Jdpmus »

I have a 6 hp Johnson 2 stroke on my CD 25. It fits the well with the hatch closed, though it doesn't get enough air through the vents at full throttle. I've been lusting after a 4 stroke just because of the fuel mix hassle.

The 6 hp pushes just fine but remember that this boat does not like backing up under power and is very sluggish (at least mine is). I've had to adjust my procedure for handling under power from my previous boat, which was shoal draft and had a 9 hp Merc. Once you get used to allowing yourself more leeway in and out of tight spaces, the 6 will work adequately.