Seeking Advice from Carolinas Fleet

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Seeking Advice from Carolinas Fleet

Post by Warren S »

As predicted, McCotter's rates are increasing after the big fire. If the other amenities were up to market standards, I wouldn't mind, however...

Can anyone advise as to other marinas in the area (Neuse river, Pamlico River, anywhere is game) I should inquire about moving my boat to?

Thanks!
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
House

Marina Recommendation

Post by House »

Warren-

We keep Miss E at Northwest Creek Marina, in Fairfield Harbor, downstream on the Neuse from New Bern. It's a great facility, well-managed, and protected, although you will be a good distance from Oriental and Pamlico sound. It was worth the trade-off for us, however, since their slip rates are more reasonable than other marinas. We've been there almost two years; you should check it out.

Richard
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Thanks Rchard

Post by Warren S »

I looked this over, got some rates, and it looks like my top pick for now. The information I received earlier today was $1939.14/yr (10% annual disc.). Does that sound right? I'll be down there to look it over in the next week or 2.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
House

NWC Marina

Post by House »

That sounds about right; is that figure based on Morveren's 27 foot LOD? I thought the minimum there was 30 feet, but they may have changed the policy.

Richard
Dick Turner
Location: CD 31 "Mystical" Hull #32 New Bern, NC Berthed at Pecan Grove Marina, Oriental, NC

Post by Dick Turner »

Check out Pecan Grove Marina in Oriental. Best maintained facility on the Neuse River/Pamlico Sound. Excellent hurrican "hole." Eight (8) CDSOA members can't be wrong! 2011 rate is $112/ft. Contact Grosvenor Barber, Dockmaster at 252-670-1883 (C).
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Thanks Dick and Richard

Post by Warren S »

I spoke at length with John Cox (who also mentioned Grovner). Sounds great, but alas, I stil have two boys to put through college and trying to stay as close to $2k or under as possible. Presently looking at Blackwell Point as it is "under the bridge", but no amenities.

NWC is still in the running. I like that they meter the electricity rather than a fixed add-on fee.
Andy Denmark

Small marinas in Lower Broad Creek

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hi Warren,

You might want to check out two marinas near me in Broad Creek: Ensign Harbor (Nick Santoro) and Boone Docks (Paul Fairbanks) are both first rate facilities in the best hurricane hole around, an important consideration. Also, you are closer to open water at the mouth of the Neuse River.

To me, the open water is a biggy and my biggest bitch about NWC Marina as you are literally hours up the river w/o many closeby anchorages. Also, you may want to spend a weekend there overnight on the boat. You might be able to stand the live amateur bands and karaoke until midnite curfew but some people can't. The bandstand is immediately overlooking the marina. On the other side, Dawn and Bud are top notch dockmasters and the facilities are excellent.

Should you decide to go over your $$$ limit then check out Sea Harbour Marina as it is, by far, the place to be in Oriental. I believe there are slips available in the $770/qtr range.

Andy
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Will-do

Post by Warren S »

Thanks Andy. You and I are on the same page as far as location goes. I rejected everybody up on the Pungo for the same reason. I havent heard of Ensign Harbor, so I will collect information there. Boone Docks is on the short list.

I'm enamoured with Matthews Point Marina (Clubfoot creek). Know anything about them?