ST2000+ repair or replace

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

ST2000+ repair or replace

Post by Neil Gordon »

My out-of-warranty Raymarine ST2000+ is dead. Not sure what happened to it over the winter, but there's serious rattling of parts going on inside. Seems like it would have taken a serious fall to do that sort of damage.

Raymarine has a $300 flat rate repair charge. Assuming they can fix it, I'll then have an out-of-warranty autopilot. (If they open it up and they can't fix it, I think I'm out $300.)

I can get a new ST2000+ for about twice the cost of repairing the old one.

Because I've already done the installation for the ST2000+, I'd need some compelling reason to change. Other than the part where the autopilot isn't working, I've had good experience with it. As I said, the damage seems to be from a fall.

Advice?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Neil,

I would definitely stick with the ST2000+. I had one on my 27 and it's a great solution for that size boat.

I would buy a new one. Then spend the $300 to fix the old one. You could then put the old one on eBay with a $300 reserve, noting that it has a 90 day factory repair warranty, which would get the buyer a decent way through this season. Based on my experiences on eBay you might actually get your repair money back plus a decent amount more to defray the cost of the new one.

Or, you could keep the repaired unit as a spare.

Finally, you might ask around at good marine electronics shops to find a tech who might be willing to fix it for less than $300 (or at least might not charge for a quick look). It would not carry a factory repair warranty, so that might only be an option if you want to fix it and keep it as a spare.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I opened the case and found all intact except for a very small brass pin (about 1/2 inch), and a very small section of broken plastic the color of the case. All looks okay except that the fluxgate compass is lose. (Now I know what the pin and little piece of plastic used to do.

First will be to try finding a repair shop that can put things back where they go for $75 instead of $300. Any ideas?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

JB Weld, man!

Nectar of the gods for broken plastic things. The compass mount is not a stressed part, Since you got it apart, I'll suggest that you should try fixing it yourself... Go for it- worst case, you sell it on eBay as is and get a new one.
James
jbenagh
Salem, MA

10mi N

Post by jbenagh »

First will be to try finding a repair shop that can put things back where they go for $75 instead of $300. Any ideas?
Jeff's garage -- let's give it a shot! About 10mi N. ;)

Jeff
Neil Gordon

Re: 10mi N

Post by Neil Gordon »

jbenagh wrote:
Jeff's garage -- let's give it a shot! About 10mi N. ;)

Jeff
That almost sounds like a plan.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Raymarine Center

Post by Ken Cave »

A few years ago, my ST 2000 started squealing instead of grunting
like a pig.

I sent it into their repair center (I think in New Hampshire) and they
not only installed a new motor, but other parts as well.

I even got it back in two weeks time!

Stick with their repair center. They are more than honest in their
repairs.

Ken Cave
CD 28 Dragon Tale
LaConner, WA
Solmar
Robinhood 36
Wolfeboro, NH

repair/replacement

Post by Solmar »

Neil, repair center is located Merrimack NH, 603.881.5200 x2188. I was having a small problem with my old unit, I was able to bring it to the center and it was repaired while I waited. Just a thought.
Brian & Debbie
CDSOA #786
satu

Raymarine Service Center Option

Post by satu »

I dealt with Raymarine Repair Center last year this time. My ancient, but beloved Autohelm AH2000 actuator had fractured a bearing and was audibly crunching within. Raymarine told me that one of their techs might have some old Autohelm parts stashed outback. So I shipped the unit to them. Turns out they didn't, but sold me a reconditioned ST4000 actuator {functional equivalent} for $400 vs double that or more for new. I was thrilled to save money and be able to continue using my original AH2000 Fluxgate controller. I still have my old AH2000 tiller actuator, with a working drive motor if anyone needs a motor.
I did place calls to Raymarine at least twice to keep things moving. But overall was very satisfied with their service.

That being said, I routinely serviced my AH2000 actuator for 16 happy years, avoiding service by others at great expense. I went to the experts out of necessity. In the case of your ST2000, I'd consult locally first, but would need to feel confident it was repaired properly.
Neil Gordon

All better!

Post by Neil Gordon »

Much thanks to Bly and Kevin Hartley. Following what Kevin described as a "pretty simple" repair, he reports that all seems to be working again and the unit is on its way back to me.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
barfwinkle

Loose Screws

Post by barfwinkle »

Hi Neil

My 2000+ has some issues as well. Damn thing almost killed me sunday. I hope it just needs to be re-calibrated on flat water. Next opportunity I'll find out.

Sure would hate to have to repair/replace that puppy.

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.