Freshwater hand pump recommendations?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Freshwater hand pump recommendations?

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi all,

While winterizing the freshwater system on my 25D last season, I discovered that BOTH Jabsco hand pumps had stopped working. The previous year, when I contacted Jabsco, I was told that that particular model had been discontinued and that repair kids were virtually nonexistent.

That means it's time to replace these less-than-useful pumps with something else.

What have other 25D users chosen as replacement pumps, understanding that there is limited space to install a foot pump, at least in the galley? There is room for a foot pump in the forward head compartment, but I'm not sure that I'm prepared to do the major glass work involved, at least not this season.

I'm probably looking at some kind of "flipper" design.

Thanks,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Russell

Post by Russell »

I have one of these in my galley:

http://www.imtra.com/product/pumps_tank ... ws_60b.htm

Its very attractive and matches with the other brass hardware inside our CDs. Much classier looking then any other pumps I have seen.

Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Joe Myerson

Thanks Russell

Post by Joe Myerson »

Russell,

That looks like a beauty--and it will fit nicely in the head compartment. I'm not sure there's enough vertical clearance for the piston in the cramped area that passes for a galley in my 25D.

Thanks!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

We have one similar to Russell's but with a longer handle. I think it's this (or similar anyways):

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=155472
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

I have both!

Post by Warren S »

I use Russels in the galley. A little olive oil on the shaft once or twice a season will make it so easy to pump that I never consider switching to an electric pump.

I use Melissa's for the vanity sink for the exact reason: the overhang clearance. It, too works like a charm with plenty of room. The handle you see in the picture can rotate to either side based on what else you have sitting on the vanity at the time.

Extremely pleased with both and will never have to buy another fawcet for the boat.

On the galley unit, I did not winterize it properly. The nipple/check valve assembly cracked and failed this spring, but I was able to secure a new one without a problem (Defender, I think, or Jamestown).
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Post script, FWIW

Post by Warren S »

I selected the galley faucet (Russel's) because of it's low profile (pump cylinder is below countertop) which makes for better shipping of pots and pans to and from the sink after dinner. I did have to re-position the faucet to a new location, but was well worth the effort.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Joe Myerson

Great suggestions!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Thanks guys,

I really like the classic looks of those two Imtra pumps. I'll have to do some measuring when I get back to the boat, it may be that I'll end up using Melissa's recommendation for the galley and Russell's for the vanity--or Melissa's for both.

And, Warren, it's nice to know that Defender has kits for their pump.

Best,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

I replaced the galley pump with the Imtra (Fynspray) WS62. No room for a floor lever in the galley area so this pump is a good replacement for the old pump. I have to admit it was more costly than other pumps but it was worth it. The handle is longer which means more gallons per pump. The handle is able to be swiveled to any angle. The total throw of the handle requires that the handle be positioned slightly forward of the overhang of the bridgedeck.
Joe Myerson

Foot pump

Post by Joe Myerson »

Jeff:
Jeff G wrote:I replaced the galley pump with the Imtra (Fynspray) WS62.
It sounds like you've already done the measuring.
Jeff G wrote:No room for a floor lever in the galley area so this pump is a good replacement for the old pump.
I've fantasized about installing a foot pump in the forward galley compartment, where there is plenty of room for a foot pump. But I think I'll go with simplicity.

BTW, is there any way to access the vanity pump, other than by removing the tool drawer and working upside-down?

Thanks,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Finspray

Post by bhartley »

Joe

We have the finspray in both the head and the galley on our 25D. Installed by the previous owner. They are mounted on oval teak pads. They work great.

Bly
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Finspray

Post by bhartley »

Joe

We have the finspray in both the head and the galley on our 25D. Installed by the previous owner. They are mounted on oval teak pads. They work great.

Bly
Jeff G

Pump Access

Post by Jeff G »

"BTW, is there any way to access the vanity pump, other than by removing the tool drawer and working upside-down?"

I removed the drawer and unbolted the sink. With the sink out its easy.
Joe Myerson

Re: Pump Access

Post by Joe Myerson »

Jeff G wrote:"With the sink out its easy.
Duh! I didn't even think of that back when I replaced the pump. But that was before I became a CDSOA member.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627