Included with your CDSOA membership cards...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

M. R. Bober

We could change our name to "the just about anything&am

Post by M. R. Bober »

joelcunningham wrote:New member voting Yes and Yes. Hey! I need all the friends I can get :D Maybe we could change our name to CDSLA. L is for lovers. :) Haven't I seen bumper stickers that say "Virginia is for lovers" :?:
Joel,
We could change our name to reflect our new mission. We could easily become "the just about anything association". Perhaps you have some other suggestions?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (where we realize that not all change is for the better) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
GeorgeV

Vote No

Post by GeorgeV »

I am voting No.

I believe that an organization that is intended to support and bring together Cape Dory Sailboat owners then it should only be Cape Dory Sail Boat owners who have voting rights as to the direction of the organization.

Anyone can take advantage of this web site and they don't even have to be members of the CDSOA, just interested in sharing a common love of boating.

I am not against anyone who wants to be associated with the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association but individuals who don't own a Cape Dory Sailboat should not be eligible to vote on the organizations activities and direction.

Just my 2 cents worth
Last edited by GeorgeV on Apr 18th, '11, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgeV
s/v: Peace and Quiet
Tayana 37
Essex, CT
http://sailingonisabelle.yolasite.com/
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: We could change our name to "the just about anythin

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

M. R. Bober wrote:
joelcunningham wrote:New member voting Yes and Yes. Hey! I need all the friends I can get :D Maybe we could change our name to CDSLA. L is for lovers. :) Haven't I seen bumper stickers that say "Virginia is for lovers" :?:
Joel,
We could change our name to reflect our new mission. We could easily become "the just about anything association". Perhaps you have some other suggestions?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (where we realize that not all change is for the better) VA
That is a real stretch, CD power boat owners are a pretty small group. If asked to guess I'd say that the number of power boats CD made is no more than 5% of the number of sail boats produced. I really don't expect any change at all if the vote is to allow them as members. How many post here, a handful?

I can't see any down side to letting them in. The up side is you have somemore members ,maybe, with a somewhat diufferent perspective.

It will be pretty funny if we go through all of this and five CD Power Boaters's (CDPB"S) join. It is the 21 1st century. It is time we emancipated the CDPB's, gave them the right to vote and ended the segregation so we can all share the water in peace.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
M. R. Bober

Re: We could change our name to "the just about anythin

Post by M. R. Bober »

Joe CD MS 300 wrote:
That is a real stretch, CD power boat owners are a pretty small group. If asked to guess I'd say that the number of power boats CD made is no more than 5% of the number of sail boats produced. I really don't expect any change at all if the vote is to allow them as members. How many post here, a handful?

I can't see any down side to letting them in. The up side is you have somemore members ,maybe, with a somewhat diufferent perspective.

It will be pretty funny if we go through all of this and five CD Power Boaters's (CDPB"S) join. It is the 21 1st century. It is time we emancipated the CDPB's, gave them the right to vote and ended the segregation so we can all share the water in peace.
When the first CD powerboat owner asked for permission to join our group, there was serious discussion. If I recall correctly, and I do, it was a 28 Trawler. We allowed him to join and listed his boat as a CD28, and no one was the wiser. We hoped that if he joined us at cruising events, we could send him to get ice.

To clear up a misconception, when we originally incorporated the CDSOA (I was one of the three who formed the Maryland corporation), membership in the organization was limited to owners of Cape Dory sailboats.

I joined this club to meet with my peers and have a good time. The previous Cape Dory group had folded when the Commodore sold his CD and bought something else and tried to keep us together as a "Chesapeake cruisers" club. IMHO, the sole purpose of membership in CDSOA is to gather and have fun. When that becomes too difficult, bad things follow.

No matter the outcome of the vote to modify the bylaws, Susan and I will still go sailing and probably meet some friends.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (where losing sight of the obvious is rare) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

According to this site's "About Cape Dorys", these are the numbers of the powerboats built by Cape Dory.

Cape Dory 24 Trawler 6.25 knots 17 built
Cape Dory 28 Powerboat 14 knots 223 built
Cape Dory 30 Poweryacht 20 knots 15 built
Cape Dory 33 Poweryacht 20 knots 22 built
Cape Dory 36 Poweryacht 20 knots 13 built
Cape Dory 38 (commercial) -- knots -- built
Cape Dory 40 Explorer Trawler 24 knots -- built
Cape Dory 42 Lobster dragger 12 knots 14 built
Cape Dory 42 (commercial sportfisherman) -- knots -- built

Cape Dory 300 Motorsailer 8 knots 47 built
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Some years back at a NE Fleet Winter meeting at Unks I proposed having former CD owners who have changed boats to other brands remain as voting memebers. I believe Bob Ohler, then CDSOA Commodore and Leo MacDonald were dead set against it.

I still am of the same mind, that being PREVIOUS owners of CD boats should be allowed to stay as voting members.

We also must look reality in the face. Maybe not just for present members but for future ones. I believe the YOUNGEST CD boats are now 21 years old. Many members will change boats eventually and CD boats will fall away by attrition.

There are many good people in this organization. I have made a great many friends through it. It would be ashame to see them all drift away because the boats slowly but surely will succumb to the ravages of age in a hostile marine environment.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Where I stand

Post by Joe Myerson »

Last year I was one of those who rekindled this controversy, pointing out that my neighbor who traded his beloved Marshall 22 for a Cape Dory 28 trawler continues to be a member in good standing of the Catboat Association, while he would only be eligible for associate membership in our august body.

Even though it begins with "A," associate-member status is hardly like being branded with a scarlet letter--and if the majority of our voting members want the membership criteria to stay as they are, so be it.

However, I voted "yes" on both proposed amendments. And, kudos to the organization for sending out ballots with membership cards!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Don't let the tail wag the dog

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mitch said, "To clear up a misconception, when we originally incorporated the CDSOA (I was one of the three who formed the Maryland corporation), membership in the organization was limited to owners of Cape Dory sailboats."

True enough, but lest anyone think that CDSOA has somehow quietly evolved from and simply traces its deep roots to that humble start, let me make reference to the following:

1 - This website, IMO our most valuable feature, was hatched not by CDSOA but by the California Cape Dory Owners Association and more specifically, long time webmaster Walt Bilofsky, a CD Power owner. Thank Walt, a CD Power owner, for the Registry of Boats, too.

2 - The Northeast Fleet, overwhelmingly the largest within the CDSOA family, sprouts from a rendezvous in Onset, MA, 11 years ago. That rendezvous was organized locally, through grass roots efforts, and was communicated to CD Owners in New England through the California Cape Dory Owners Association message board. Walt, a CD Power owner, attended to a standing ovation.

We don't need to speculate as to what might happen to CDSOA and its "direction" when the two proposed bylaw changes are approved. Look at the living laboratory we have right here on this message board.

CD Power owners are allowed to post here. Walt, a CD Power owner (did I already mention that) was webmaster and presumably had more editorial influence than anyone. Catalina owners are allowed to post here. Hunter owners, too. They outnumber us how many to one? And what harm has any CD Power boater or non-CD owner ever done here? What have they influenced (or even attempted to influence) to the detriment of the CD sailors? Have they not been supportive? Have they not become (or remained) friends?

Vote YES on the bylaw changes, because it's the right thing to do.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ed Haley

Earlier CD websites

Post by Ed Haley »

Years before the CDSOA was established, there was an AOL member site where boat information was disseminated and traded online. There were many boat manufacturers represented, such as Alberg, C&C, Cape Dory, Hinckley, Pearson and Valiant. I was a regular respondent for the Cape Dory boats (sail and power) from the mid-90's. I regularly corresponded with CD owners such as Larry DeMers and John & Nancy Martin. Even then, I discussed my willingness to start a CD newsletter.

It was later that some organizers set up the initial CDSOA site. I remember Leo MacDonald having the first organizational meeting but I could not attend for whatever reason but truly wanted to be there.

At any rate, the first AOL discussion forums in the Cape Dory folders did not discriminate between sail or power owners. Same as the California group (CCDOA) that had come online around that time. It was only the CDSOA in their by-laws that put a wedge between sail- and power-boat owners in the CDSOA membership structure. I could never figure out why an organization would begin by excluding potential members instead of welcoming all that had an interest in the Cape Dory line of boats.

And now, the CDSOA has a chance to correct that mistake. And I welcome it and embrace the idea that the more Cape Dory afficinados in our group the better for our group. To add members to our membership because of the love of the Cape Dory line is certainly better than excluding them from our membership because of personal enmity towards some powerboater.

And now we decide.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Amend Bylaws

Post by Oswego John »

I'd like to say a few words about amending the bylaws. I had no idea and I regret the feelings I have that any change, in regard to amending them, would generate any divisiveness in the membership. I believe that I have a grasp and I understand these feelings, pro and con, on this vote.

Last November, 2010 I attended the CDSOA annual general meeting in Harve de Grace, MD. After much deliberation and consultation with many highly respected members, I appeared before the Board Of Directors and made the motion to allow full membership of all owners of CD vessels, both sail and power.

Included in my motion was the provision to allow any member who maintained his continuous membership to retain his membership in the event that, for some unforeseen reason, he wasn't a CD owner.

Through the years, I have seen occasions where solid, constructive members have had their status reduced to less than full membership. It is true that this didn't bother some members and they went on record to attest to this fact. However, being reduced to an associate member did bother many more members. I was made aware of these associates by many e-mails and PMs

I was asked to be nominated as the Great Lakes Fleet Captain. I had to refuse this honor rather than besmudge or dishonor what the CDSOA stands for. Because of advancing age, which includes other factors, I plan on selling my CDs and concentrating my efforts on my pseudo CD 85D. Upon my disposal of my CDs, I would be reduced to Associate status and would become ineligible to maintain officership. I didn't take that lightly.

I think that the clincher for me going before the Board of Directors to make the motion was the fact that I heard about several old time members who were soon going to be ex-owners of CDs. As I write this, I am reminded of a very popular Florida member who is a constant contributor to our forum. He sold his prize CD with full intent to step up a notch or two in the CD line. He is conducting a diligent search but as to date, he hasn't found the right one. This person plus others should not have to lose full membership and be denied the privilege of voting. As the CD organization now stands, there is no provision to prevent this.

I would be remiss if is didn't have the pleasure to mention that one of our senior members plans have been changed and he will continue ownership of his CD. This is very recent news.

One of the basic fundamentals of any progressive company, organization or business is to cast off rigidity and maintain flexibility. It mus be in a position to be able to adapt with the times.
Our boats are aging as well as a generation of our members. We must have a method for change as well.

Whatever the outcome of this vote, I plan to abide by the bylaws and hopefully continue to contibute to our forum in my own inimitable way.

BTW, if you would like to refresh your memories and read a bit of interesting data on the subject, scroll up to the top of the page and click on "Search".

Type in "Bylaw". Then go to "Some Regret" and click. This will give you some insight on varied viewpoints of changing the bylaws, both Pro and Con, as well as a potpourri of varied thoughts on the subject. If still interested, continue on to succeeding pages.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Bob Ohler

Better Name Change Idea:CDSPUOCDTOACDSACDOAI&AKAFWHACDA

Post by Bob Ohler »

Of course you would have to change the logo and letterhead too!

"CDSPUOCDTOACDSACDOAI&AKAFWHACDA"

"Cape Dory Sailboat, Powerboat, Used to Own a CD, Thought About Owning a CD, Saw A CD Once and Admired it, Know A Friend Who Has a CD Association"

Political correctness has hit the CDSOA!
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: Better Name Change Idea:CDSPUOCDTOACDSACDOAI&AKAFWHA

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Bob Ohler wrote:Of course you would have to change the logo and letterhead too!

"CDSPUOCDTOACDSACDOAI&AKAFWHACDA"

"Cape Dory Sailboat, Powerboat, Used to Own a CD, Thought About Owning a CD, Saw A CD Once and Admired it, Know A Friend Who Has a CD Association"

Political correctness has hit the CDSOA!
I don't think it is necessary to change the name. In any case the last three categories would require another ballot. I think I would vote against the last three.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

We're only voting about voting

Post by Neil Gordon »

Bob Ohler wrote:... Thought About Owning a CD, Saw A CD Once and Admired it, Know A Friend Who Has a CD Association"
Associate membership is available to all of those folks right now, Bob. The bylaw change will not extend voting rights or the right to hold office to any of them.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
M. R. Bober

Re: We're only voting about voting

Post by M. R. Bober »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Bob Ohler wrote:... Thought About Owning a CD, Saw A CD Once and Admired it, Know A Friend Who Has a CD Association"
Associate membership is available to all of those folks right now, Bob. The bylaw change will not extend voting rights or the right to hold office to any of them.
Neil,
You make a convincing argument for NOT modifying the bylaws. While a few associate members may gain full membership, I do not see how CDSOA benefits.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (where--until recently--seldom was heard a discouraging word) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
CD-Sailor

DELETED

Post by CD-Sailor »

DELETED
Last edited by CD-Sailor on Jul 6th, '11, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.