Been there, done that

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Been there, done that

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

I've been in Madrid for the past several days to visit my son; While here we visited the Museo Thyssen Bournemiesza. It was an amazing collection, but one small painting caught my eye. "Cristo en la tempestad del mar de Galilea" It shows a small sailboat, about the size of a CD25 or 27, caught in a thunderstorm. One guy is struggling to get the sail down, another fighting the tiller, and a third on the halyard. And who is sitting up at the bow, looking really seasick-Jesus Christ!
Just another reminder that although people have been driving, cycling, flying etc. for a relatively short period of time, We've been sailing for a thousand (thousands?) of years. In small boats that are basically much like the ones we sail today. Something to think about next time we're out on the water!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Nice that they had a tiller and not a wheel. Did you happen to notice if their prop was locked or free spinning?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Tom Keevil

Photo

Post by Tom Keevil »

Here's a link to the painting. That looks like a steering oar to me. Any CD owners want to take up the cause of the steering oar?

http://www.museothyssen.org/thyssen/zoom_obra/694
Last edited by Tom Keevil on Apr 16th, '11, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

Very cool Mike. You got me curious so I googled the painting title, and there are two I found. Same subject one by Brueghel and one by Rembrandt.

Was one of these the one you saw?
Ron Churgin
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Photo

Post by Duncan »

Tom Keevil wrote:Here's a link to the painting. That looks like a steering oar to me. Any CD owners want to take up the cause of the steering oar?

http://www.museothyssen.org/thyssen/zoom_obra/694
I zoomed in and there it was, the steering oar. It was on the right side, too - steerboard>>starboard.

:roll:
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Okay Neil, now you have to give up on the tiller thing because steering oars are definitely better, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve Laume wrote:Okay Neil, now you have to give up on the tiller thing because steering oars are definitely better, Steve.
I can see the advantages, especially where the steering oar takes up zero room in the cockpit.

I'd need to change slips, as bow in I'm currently starboard side to and I'm thinking that backing in would be a bad idea. Might a steering oar solve the "suck the water off the rudder in reverse" problem?.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tartansailor

Re: Been there, done that

Post by tartansailor »

Mike Wainfeld wrote:
And who is sitting up at the bow, looking really seasick-Jesus Christ!
Sorry, but that looks more like OJ to me.

Dick
Neil Gordon

Re: Been there, done that

Post by Neil Gordon »

tartansailor wrote:
Mike Wainfeld wrote:
And who is sitting up at the bow, looking really seasick-Jesus Christ!
Sorry, but that looks more like OJ to me.

Dick
The painting is from 1596, so it's quite possible.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

According to the title:

Jan Brueghel I
Cristo en la tempestad del mar de Galilea
Have A Nice Day
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Mike,

Just wanted to say that when I was in Madrid in 2009 I thought the Thyssen Museum was one of the best museums anywhere. And, like you, I live on Long Island close to world class museums in Manhattan!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)