Anyone get this HELP message?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ed Haley

Anyone get this HELP message?

Post by Ed Haley »

Peter Kozup was a member of CDSOA a few years back in our Great Lakes Fleet. Got this message this morning. Anyone else get it?

+++++++++++++++++++

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,my family and I came down here to Cardiff,wales united kingdom for a short vacation unfortunately we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash,credit card and cell were stolen off us but luckily for us.

we still have our passports with us.We've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues and our flight leaves in few hrs time but we're having problems Sorting out our hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills.wondering if you can Loan us some cash we promise to refund it once we get back ..let me know if you can help us out so i can give you the needed information to wired the money to us here in wales united kingdom.....it has been so embarrassing for me and my Family please help us out of this terrible situation ....Am freaked out at the moment

Thanks

Peter Kozup

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wonder if anyone knows Peter and if he's really in need.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

He's been hacked. I hope his friends don't fall for the scam.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Rebinva

I have received that same message twice before from

Post by Rebinva »

different people. He has indeed been hacked.
bobdugan

How did you receive those messages?

Post by bobdugan »

Was it a PM... or an email?

Bob
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Ed Haley

Regular email addresses to "undisclosed recipients.&quo

Post by Ed Haley »

Actually, I received two emails - 17 minutes apart. That's when I knew it was bogus. I know Peter and if he was in trouble like that, I'm sure he would have called his friends.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Spam filter

Post by Duncan »

I got a couple of versions of that one about a year ago. I'm surprised that it still has legs, and that your spam filter didn't catch it.

Best thing is probably to try and notify the person who got hacked, since their system may have been compromised in other ways at the same time?
bobdugan

I heard about this scam on NPR last year...

Post by bobdugan »

If you cut and paste the first sentence of the scam email into google you'll get lots of hits related to this scam.

My sister-in-law's yahoo account was hacked and a similar email was sent out from her account... she got lots of calls from concerned friends the first few days.
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Pete Kozup

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Ed, Bob and all,

Yep, I received the SOS, too. It was an E-Mail at 8:59 this morning, Tuesday.

We all remember Pete and his "Waltzing Matilda". He was a member of the Great Lakes Fleet. I first met Pete on the inauguration day of the newly formed GLF in Buffalo, NY.

Yep, it's a hack job alright.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

It's from Nigeria!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Ed,

A few months ago I got an almost identical message from a college classmate. The only difference was that it alleged that he was visiting Edinburgh, Scotland, when his wallet was stolen.

I finally reached his wife, safely in Pittsburgh with the whole family, and discovered that he had been researching travel to Africa (he's got lots more money than I ever will) with his children. One of the sites he visited was located in--you guessed it--Nigeria.

Apparently the Nigerian-based website contained some sort of malware that was able to tap into his e-mail address book and send this appeal to all his friends. I believe he had to close his e-mail account and open a new one with another ISP.

I suppose it's a tribute to one of that country's leading industries to see that Nigerian internet swindlers are diversifying their scams.

Delete the e-mail!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

It's a scam and I assure you it's not Peter that's doing the scamming. It's an old one. Contact Peter and let him know and don't forward that email to anyone else.

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I got an almost identical email from a close friend last week. The email said he and his wife had been mugged in London, lost all cash credit cards, passports, etc.

Like the idiot that I am I opened the email even though if I had carefully looked at the "header" it is not how my friend has his name on my email address book although it was his exact email address. If there had been an attachment I would have probably opened that as well - being an idiot.

I called him early am that day and he said he had just learned about it. He says someone hacked into his computer and sent the email to hundreds of people - friends, family, business associates, etc.

I am not sure if my computer is infected (or hacked) because I opened this false email. I hope not.

However, if you get an email from me asking you to send me money so I can buy a Cape Dory 25D it is a legitimate email and I will be grateful. :D
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Rebinva

The ones I received came to my gmail account about

Post by Rebinva »

a year ago. I marked them as spam and haven't had any further trouble, knock on wood.
bill2

cd 27

Post by bill2 »

Sea Hunt wrote:
. . .

However, if you get an email from me asking you to send me money so I can buy a Cape Dory 25D it is a legitimate email and I will be grateful. :D
Dang Sea Hunt - I was just putting my check for you in the mail for a cd27 - oh well - I'll just tear it up . . .

:wink:

Sorry Robert - it was too good a straight line to let go to waste .
Good Luck in your search .