Documentation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I've got numbers. The PO got some of those mail box jobbies and glassed them right onto the hull in the starboard cockpit locker.

I also have properly sized and placed name and hailing port.

What has me worried is the chain of bill of sales.

I still haven't called. And I have temporarily mislocated the official bill of sale I did get. I hate when that happens! I am usually pretty good with keeping track of papers just not dealing with them.

I didn't catch on to the fact that the fee is a one time deal. I was thinking it would cost $85.00 per year in addition to my state reg fee that I will need to continue to pay.

Okay now think where did I put that? Steve.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

You only need your documentation certificate on board. You do not need a chain of bill of sales. I guess that your state can tax you on the boat and can charge a fee. I know in SC you cannot be documented and state registered. They do tax, however. I don't know whether that is a state or federal rule. I would hate to have to those state numbers on the bow of my documented boat.
12Sail
Urbanna, VA

Taxes and fees

Post by 12Sail »

In Virginia we have an annual personal property tax. Not sure of the actual legislative infrastructure, but it is a tax levied by the counties, not the state, based on the value of the boat, car, vehicle, etc. Also true that you don't register if you're documented. So my total taxes and fees were/are: state sales tax at purchase, CG doc and other fees like title transfer and paperwork the bank handled of $300 (both just one-time costs) and annual personal property tax by the county where she is berthed of approx $350. Add to that the rough rule of thumb of 10% annually in maintenance and your favorite sailing magazine subscription, and you begin to see why some folks think this is an expensive passion!
"Oh God, your ocean is so vast and my boat is so small."