Wanted: Cape Dory 33 sailboat

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Southless

Wanted: Cape Dory 33 sailboat

Post by Southless »

East Coast sailor (New York) wishes to purchase CD 33 (not 330) preferably cutter rigged. Roller furling on genoa would be nice as would modest engine hours. Please reply to this message or better still call 718 273 0331 (day or evening). Thanks!
Southless

Post by Southless »

Still looking.
Southless

Wanted: Cape Dory 33

Post by Southless »

Still looking.
Southless

Wanted: Cape Dory 33

Post by Southless »

Still looking.
Southless

Wanted

Post by Southless »

Still looking. Have cash available. Willing to look at cd33's outside New York metro area.
MFC
Hull No.128

Post by MFC »

It looks like 33's and 36's are pretty well priced (certainly priced much lower than a year or two ago). Are you not finding what you want in terms of condition / equipment or just looking for a bargain?
Southless

Looking for CD33

Post by Southless »

I agree that prices have dropped (a little overall) however there's lots of boats out there simply priced not to sell, which is why so many have been on the market for a year or more. Cape Dories are nice boats (especially if looked after) but ALL are now so old that many/most need a new engine/transmission, sails, standing rigging plus probably refinished deck and mast & booms.

I'm trying to find a cutter in the 33-36 foot range - anything smaller and the cockpit is too small for me (and family/friends) and Pacific Seacraft and Valiants are far too expensive. The CD 330 fits my needs but is very expensive plus the interior doesn't work so well as the 33 (tiny bunks) although engine access is a bit better than the 33's. The 33 isn't a cutter but has, I think, a more practical interior, and prices are lower. However, many 33's and 330's have lots of deck cracks and these can be expensive to fix.

The 36 has few of the disadvantages of the 33/330 but is much, much more expensive, even though it's only a little larger, and the later T-cockpit versions are astronomically priced. Admittedly many have had lots of money spent on them, but many current owners seem to think that they should get 100 Cents on the Dollar back for all the (necessary) repairs and renovations made.

So I'm still looking for a CD33 cutter or an earlier 36 (especially one where the current owner is realistic and understands that boat prices have gone down like house prices). So I don't think I'm looking for a bargain as much as a boat without a long list of major, pending expenses.

Thanks for your enquiry. Best wishes
wizard

agree

Post by wizard »

Read your post and it is all so true. I am in the process of restoring a 1977 CD27' and it's the same, whether it is a 27', 33', or 36. Mine is 34 years old, and any boat that old or even 24 years old, is going to need major refits. Someone is going to have to bite the bullet. So, when that restoration is done, then people want to buy it for a lesser amount, which is understandable, but most sellers will have a tendency to want to recoup as much on the dollar as they can...so, it depends on what kind of a seller you run into. I guess it got summed up one day when I was talking with a friend of mine about this same subject. He made a comment which has some truth to it, he said, I am looking for a distressed seller, not a distressed boat. Now I think that is something like a needle in a haystack, lol. Best regards on finding your boat...er seller.
Southless

Post by Southless »

Still looking for cutter rigged CD33. Believe there must be some cutter rigged 33's as understand this was an option. Please call 718 273 0331.
Southless

Wanted: cutter-rigged CD33

Post by Southless »

Still looking. Please call 718 273 0331. Thanks.
Southless

Wanted: CD 33

Post by Southless »

Anyone know of a cutter-rigged CD33 for sale?
Garrick Martin
Pirogue

Post by Garrick Martin »

Southless,

We listed our CD 33 a few months ago with a broker in Oriental, NC. She is a good boat with relatively new engine, bimini, dodger, electronics etc. You can see her at http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... itonyachts&. She is not cutter rigged, but still a very good 33. We have owned and sailed her for 11 years. If you have questions send me a PM.

GM