Gotten anything done yet?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SurryMark

Gotten anything done yet?

Post by SurryMark »

The snow pack is going down, inch by inch, so how have we kept up with our plans? Who's planning big or small changes on the boat for summer 2011, and do you think you'll make your launch date target? Or do you have a hoped-for date in mind?
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I'm pretty much on track and feeling good with the warmer temps of the last few days. If all goes well, I'll have the cover off before the third weekend in March, get the topsides waxed, bottom painted and seacocks serviced, then be ready to launch in the second week of April.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven has stayed wet all winter.

I got down today and it was beautiful. I finally got around to sanding and finishing the last of my interior wood work today. I had done the entire boat with the exception of the band of teak around the galley two years ago. I guess I just kind of ran out of time and ambition back then. Today I got it done. Another day soon I will be down there giving it a light sanding and another coat.

I also plan to change the fiddle on the edge of the ice box. The Cape Dory one is less than an inch high and I am tired of shtuff flying off of there with every little wave.

Lots of other projects too but at least this is a start, Steve.
Dick Barthel

interior stuff

Post by Dick Barthel »

I planning to focus on the interior this spring to include painting ceiling and adding ash strips where the back rests used to be (with Steve's help [no actually Steve is going to do it!!]). And I did bite the bullet and get some gorgous cushions hoping to entice my mate to spend more time on DW (how's that for pure rationalization). I also have some goodies I never installed (oil lamp, weather instruments, etc) and hope to get to that too.

In the summer I want to investigate the Wind Pilot that Jeff installed on his 25D and raves about and will probably put off for another year adding a new main & chartplotter.

What comes to mind is something I remember Warren advising when I first joined the group - take it easy and do a little at I time. I followed his advice and its been 7 years now and DW has come a long way. And I've found that the upgrades do last.

I usually launch mid-May.

Dick
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

Of course. Note the topic http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=28085
and Video http://vimeo.com/user5491924 from my blog http://drysuit2.blogspot.com/
Regardless of the snow and Ice we Long Islanders are always on or in the water. Isn't that what you are supposed to do?

I'll save the work for those windless, wave less summer days. You know the ones: when the guy upwind of you [anchored in your mooring area] is blaring his rap music at a decibel that has given him, let alone yourself tinnitus. Now, we are lucky to have clean water, swell that isn't interrupted by "motorhead" wakes, and quiet.

I never understood why here in the US the majority of North East sailors consider the season from Memorial day to Labor Day. {my younger brother used to sail J24's all winter in Boston, when he went to school there] It wasn't till I went to school in London, and I saw sailors sailing all Winter long, that the light bulb went off in my head. Granted the water stays open all year round because of the Gulfstream. But I am usually locked in my creek only about a month each season on Long Island.
We are fortunate, that way. and when I am Iced in... I just go ice sailing.

I have to apologize: because I feel like I am bragging. But all I am really trying to do is have more sailors extend their season so my Club won"t stop launch service on November 15th. If I could have kept Segue on my mooring all winter: I would have had open water all season. That means I could have at least gone sailing when I was ill this January, instead of sitting in my truck watching all my friends sail their brains out.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Post by Carter Brey »

drysuit2 wrote:Of course. Note the topic http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=28085
and Video http://vimeo.com/user5491924 from my blog http://drysuit2.blogspot.com/
Regardless of the snow and Ice we Long Islanders are always on or in the water. Isn't that what you are supposed to do?
Frank. You are insane. INSANE.

Looks like fun.

CB
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Looks like a blast.
I'm in first week of April to mid November and it's not long enough.
I suppose I'd need warm foulies and a more devoted crew.

Re: OP,
Replaced a seized seacock (for head effluent...should've just capped it), finally sourced a proper replacement depth transducer, fixed up a ding in the rub rail (thanks to a friend with a full woodshop).
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

Carter Brey wrote:
drysuit2 wrote:Of course. Note the topic http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=28085
Frank. You are insane. INSANE.

Looks like fun.

CB
We've already discussed my sanity at length. Does this mean you want to come sailing tomorrow? Looks like some wind in the morning.
Last edited by drysuit2 on Feb 27th, '11, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

It's almost March, so we'll start work on the boat soon. It's still too cold to be working with exposed fingertips outside. Since we missed last year's sailing season, we want to make up for that this year, so no big projects. The biggest change will be the VHF radio. I purchased a new one last February but never installed it since we never did anything on the boat. So I hope it works. I'm also thinking about adding more insulation to the ice box but I may wait until next year for that project.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Cold!

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Heck its in the seventies here. I have been adding a SSB, and a below deck auto pilot. With all of this I am going to enlarge the electrical panel and add a linklite monitor.

I guess the good side to living up north is that you get to stop spending money for a little while.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Klem

Post by Klem »

Does repairing a small rip in my winter cover today count?
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Post by Carter Brey »

drysuit2 wrote: We've already discussed my sanity at length. Does this mean you want to come sailing tomorrow? Looks like some wind in the morning.
Frank,

I honestly would have loved to. Gotta work today. It's really too bad; it's up to 46 degrees in Central Park and the sun is shining.

CB
12Sail
Urbanna, VA

Post by 12Sail »

I just bought "Ellie" in October of last year. Sailed her home from PO's home and my wife said she's never seen a bigger smile on my face. I've sailed in Jacksonville for 10 years on O'Day 17 and 25, so this is my first "real" winterization process with inboard, fresh water, and head. She's hull #2 and the PO kept her in immaculate condition; not much major to do but a few little things: change to racor-type filter, add a voltage regulator to the solar panel, add a holding tank indicator, and upgrade the stereo. Other than those items, and painting the stern, I'm just looking forward to "learning her". Diesel is new to me, and several cap'ns on this board have been helpful already.
Great question to the fleet...love the answers!
"Oh God, your ocean is so vast and my boat is so small."
captzigzag

on and on

Post by captzigzag »

The dilemma is, where to mount the solar panels? Do I hang them on the sides toward the stern or on the davits? Then will the hardware look neat and be handy? On top the bimini is out until I shrink a couple of inches.

Tired of thinking about it, ready to go sailing!
jbenagh
Salem, MA

some

Post by jbenagh »

I freed, lapped and bedded all the seacocks. I was worried since all but one were stuck but all of them came apart fairly easily. Got the emergency tiller access plate freed up and cleaned up the rust on the e-tiller.

Not much left to do, just bottom paint and replacing a few halyards. The yard is doing some engine work.

Jeff