GPS for Auto and Boat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

GPS for Auto and Boat

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Is there a small chartplotter/gps that will hold both marine and road chats/maps. Anybody with any experience with them, if such exists. thx.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Jim Evans

Garmin GPSMap 478

Post by Jim Evans »

It's a great unit, though discontinued. You might find a "new" one on EBay. Great screen, fast processor, and it's preloaded with both US coastline Bluecharts, and North America road maps. I've really enjoyed mine.
Jim Evans
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I'll second the Garmin GPSMap 478. I use it as the primary backup to my fixed mount chartplotter. It is great to be able to switch to the road mode after you enter a harbor and get a listing for restaurants and other POI's in walking distance of the harbor or use it on the ride home after getting of the boat. All coastal charts and road maps for the US were preloaded and included with the basic unit.

Garmin also has the GPSMap 640 which also comes preloaded with both all coastal charts US roads more or less replaced the 478 but is a touch screen model. I think the resolution on the touch screens are a hair below the push button models.

Another option is to buy one of the less expensive handhelds that are also preloaded with all coastal charts and separately buy the data card for the roads. I now that this was possible with the Oregon line but the Oregon 400c was discontinued. You might need to search their web site or call Garmin for other units. Stary with the handhelds for use "on the water" . They wil tell you what other maps are available for each unit.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Maine Sail

Re: Garmin GPSMap 478

Post by Maine Sail »

Jim Evans wrote:It's a great unit, though discontinued. You might find a "new" one on EBay. Great screen, fast processor, and it's preloaded with both US coastline Bluecharts, and North America road maps. I've really enjoyed mine.
The 498/398 was THE BEST hand held unit Garmin ever made! It's been all down hill since for them. It had a bright screen, the old Garmin menu system and a large enough screen to actually use it as a plotter. Never should have dropped until they had a suitable replacement, which they still don't have... :cry:
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Garmin GPSmap 478 GPS

Post by Wingaersheek II »

I can also recommend the discontinued Garmin GPSmap 478 GPS. I have two of these. I liked the first one enough that I bought a second unit two seasons ago at a DEEP discount after they were discontinued.

I mount one in the cockpit while underway and the other is mounted in the cabin as a backup. The nice thing about having two identical units is they operate the same, use the same connections, mounts, etc.

The 478 has a Marine Mode and an Automotive Mode. Switching between the two changes the way the unit operates and it remembers your preferences for each mode.