CD 27 Engine Bed

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gvanbell

CD 27 Engine Bed

Post by gvanbell »

Hey there everyone. I'm pretty deep into the refit of our still un-named CD 27, and am just about ready to lay down the big cash for the new engine. We're going with the Betamarine 14.

I've been chatting with some folks on the board about the engine and the mounts, and have read all the repower threads. Still, I'm left with one question that I am hoping someone out there can clarify for me.

Are the molded engine beds the same on all 1979 CD 27s? I know some came with the Yanmar YSM8 and some came with a Westerbeke(?) or other stock engine.

If they are the same, then I know Beta has the dimensions and measurements needed to fab the engine mounts for me. Otherwise I get into some complicated template building, measuring, etc. All of that translates to more cost. I'd rather buy LED lights than pay mechanics if I can avoid it.

Any help?

Thanks.

-g

p.s. Watch for a long-overdue update to our blog on the refit soon. Things are about to start happening fast! http://capedory27.blogspot.com
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Ben Thomas

Post by moctrams »

Have you talked to Ben Thomas?
gvanbell

Ben Thomas?

Post by gvanbell »

I have not. I take it by the recommendation that I should?
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

oh yeah!

Post by moctrams »

You would be well advised to talk to Ben. I replaced my old MD7A with a Beta 20hp. Ben made the SS engine mounts. The yard guys told me "it was the easiest installation they had ever done".